Author Topic: CSM N 17 fit issues  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
CSM N 17 fit issues
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:09:04 AM »
After building the various sub-assemblies, I am having serious fitment problems with the rear fuselage and the cockpit.  Either the rear is too tight or the rear panel is too wide.  Scraped paint off and did a bit of other moves.  This may become a dead project.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Offline Edgar

Re: CSM N 17 fit issues
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
Greetings
Photos may help us to understand where is the issue!)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
Having built two I don't recall any major issue. IIRC I scraped the inside edges of the rear fuselage slightly on the inside surface of the second one. Like Edgar said, a photo would be helpful.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 01:25:29 AM »
I have built a CSM Nie. XVII too and there were no fit issues. Cockpit and rear fuselage went together without scraping or sanding.

Cheers
Jörg

Offline drdave

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 03:10:11 AM »
One pitfall to be aware of is that the rear canvas sheet part, behind the seat, does not wedge between the fuselage frames
There are little notches so it sits in the front aspect. Otherwise the frame sits about a millimetre wide.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 07:15:09 AM »
May I say how great it was of Edgar to jump in and offer help in this situation. That is EXCELLENT customer service from Copper State. Well done!  Regards, Pete in RI

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 09:44:05 AM »
I have built this kit as well and didn't have any fit issues .

Dave is right , the canvas behind the pilot isn't flush with the rear framing . It is inset so just the frame edge fits into the rear part of the fuselage . Could this be causing you the fit issues you are having ?

To fix this if you can carefully remove the canvas part re-fit , but since you have done sanding and scraping there will be a gap which will need to get filled . Lining the edge on the rear fuselage on the inside with thin strips of card stock will fill this gap and the side panels should be levelled ( test fit , test fit ) . If this isn't an option one can split the glued seam on the rear fuselage 3/4 way down . Fit the front part and re-glue things up . There will will be gaps to fill on the top and lower parts of the rear though , but not a very big one .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 04:32:22 AM »
I built both Nieuport 17s and had absolutely no fit issues.  Dave, Terri and others are correct regarding the rear canvas.  CSM kits, like WNW are precision pieces and therefore the fit is exact.  It's always best with kits of this quality to test fit everything before gluing.
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9977.30
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 01:58:49 AM »
Looking at my second kit, I probably botched the 'key openings' at the rear of the fuselage where cockpit rear panel comes in.  I think I will build the early kit as a meditation on fixing the later kit.

Thanks!