Author Topic: Fokker Dr1/F1  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Europapete

Fokker Dr1/F1
« on: April 14, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
OK, I got a few questions about upgrades to Rodens Dr1/F1 series of kits in the "Whats New" section, and it started to expand a bit, so I thought I had better move it. Please, FEEL FREE to add and expand in this thread, the more info we have the better, and if I get something wrong, PLEASE TELL ME.  Moderators, if you feel this is in the wrong place, then please move it to the right one.

The object of this thread is to list all the upgrades, parts, modifications, additions and deletions needed to make the Roden Dr1 kit into the most accurate replica possible. I intend to include period photo's, plans, in progress model builds, built model builds, previously published WIP's, links to other peoples websites, etc., basically ANYTHING that will produce a better replica.

AGAIN, let me be specific. THIS IS NOT MY THREAD. it is OURS. Therefore, ALL CONTRIBUTIONS ARE NEEDED.  There are people out there who know a lot more about this subject than I do. All I am attempting to do is get all that info into one easy to use place. ( yeah, right, good luck with that one! lololol)

So, I will start off with what I have on my bench right now, good enough starting point.

Roden kits 601 and 605, the F1 and Dr1 versions.
2x sets of GASPATCH Spandau 08/15 Fokker version
Fokker Nutz Dr1 control stick 01 02 32
Fokker Nutz F1 control stick 01 00 32
Yes, they ARE different!
Aviattic:
Go to their website.
ATTL04 and ATTL05 Werner Voss F1 Triplane
This is a dedicated decal sheet to Werner Voss, F1 103/17.
It includes full streaking camo decals matched to period photo's of 103/17, NOT just random streaks. It is available with a blue background or linen background, depending on your opinion. I vote blue, because that best matches the colour described by McCudden and Rys-Davids in contemporary combat reports of "silver-gray". Linen background, in my opinion, does not give that colour at speed and a distance. The decal sheet also includes interior wood panels, linen seat covering, linen panels behind the seat, instrument faces, and National markings. Richard also throws in a complete set of markings for Werner's D3 too. (Depicted accurately for the first time, btw.)
Also, check all their Dr1 sheets. Aviattic has produced an entire range of MvR triplane sheets, and where there is streaking camo, it is matched to photo's of the specific airframe.
I bought the Voss set, and it looks good against photo's to me.
Gunsight Graphics. Long gone, but still may appear on Ebay or forum "for sale" listings. I have the 1/48 version, it is a generic streaking effect sheet, ranging from faint to thick. One can layer multiple decal sections to match photo's. These are very useful sheets if you come across them. Can be used for the D6, D7, and D8 too. The sheet has a clear backing, so you will need to undercoat with blue or linen to suit your application.
ok, it's gone 10pm my time and I am calling it a night. More soon. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline Gene K

Re: Fokker Dr1/F1
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:44:47 AM »
Thanks much!! Very useful information in that the WNW kit may not come to fruition. But there's always hope that CSM will step in.

Hopefully this thread won't be lost in this section of the site.

Gene K

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 03:54:52 AM »
I've got an Encore DR.I/F.I kit, I'm undecided what to build from it. It wasn't expensive so it might be a DR.I

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Europapete

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:05:13 AM »
Hi guys, thank you for the replies.I hope this will help everyone.
 Ok, on with the show;
Back to AVIATTIC, Richard also produces detailed cowlings for the F1 and Dr1/D6, an accurate rudder for the F1/Dr1/D6, an accurate Fokker style seat, separate PE sets for the F1 and Dr1, and sheets of very finely detailed rib tapes. They also produce very nice figures of Voss and MvR.
Toms Model Works produce a generic PE set for German cockpits.
PART models of Poland produce a 2 sheet PE set. This can be obtained at Jadar Hobby.
TAURUS MODELS produce pulseometers, the best resin engines on the market, Fokker cowl nuts, magneto's, spark plugs, prop hubs, and a whole plethora of other detail parts.
FLUGZEUGWERKS on SHAPEWAYS produce very nice compasses relevant for the Triplane, and many other details for our range of models.
GASPATCH produce increadable machine guns, ammo belts, gunsights, turnbuckles, airspeed indicators etc.
PROPERPLANE for real wood propellers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:57:16 AM by Europapete »

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »
Other Aftermarket:

Eduard 32547 - etched bits mostly for cockpit area
Cutting Edge - did a improved cowling and early ailerons in resin long OOP
Eagle Editions Eaglecal Decals #93 - Markings for Jasta 26 Esswein, Jasta 11 Mohnicke, Jasta 18 Raben
Eagle Editions Eaglecal Decals #94 - Markings for Jasta 19 Koerner & Jasta 11 M. Richthofen 425/17
Cutting Edge Decals CED32066 - Markings for Jasta 11 M. Richthofen, F.I, 102/17; Dr.I, 127/17; Dr.I, 152.17; Dr.I, 161/17; Dr.I, 425/17; Dr.I, 477/17
Cutting Edge Decals CED32067 - Markings for Jasta 27 Klimke, Jasta 11 L. Richthofen & Jasta 12 VonTutschek
Pheon Decals 32002 - Fokker Dr.Is of Jagdgeschwader II - 16 marking options. Six for Jasta 12, one for Jasta 13, three for Jasta 15 and six for Jasta 19
-Patrick

Offline Europapete

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 08:45:01 PM »
Yes! thank you  :D Keep 'em coming.
Also it looks like Achim Engels produces an ebook about the Dr1, see a couple of threads down. I have not seen or heard of this one, can anyone provide details?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:50:24 PM by Europapete »

Offline Mossie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »
Contact Achim via his email engels<at>fokker-team-schorndorf.de

He has constructed a number of Fokker aircraft, all flight worthy, some in NZ with TVAL and 3 in Australia with TAVAS, along with a few at his home.
I've been working with Achim for 10 years now and we get together each year to spend time making aircraft, models and other projects.

Between us we have a huge Archive of data on a wide variety of subjects upto 1946.
We are happy to share, unless copyright gets in the way.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline Europapete

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 12:57:57 AM »
WOW! :D Thank you Gerry, that is great news!

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 01:44:10 AM »
Achims ebook on the Dr.I is one of his older books (so its not quite as good as the newer ones) but it does contain several details pics of the aircraft. He used original soruces for making the reporduction so as best I can tell, everything they did was like the original Fokker.

Great guy to deal with (and fellow modeller) as well!

Chuck.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 09:11:15 AM »
Thank you for the info Chuck. Speaking of books, thse are the only DEDICATED Dr1 books I have, although I have many more articles and photo's spread over other books and magazines, too many to list here.
Fokker V5/Dr1 Wolfgang Schuster and Achim Engels (well, who knew! lol) Schiffer Publishing
Fokker Dr1 Tomasz Kowalski  Kagero Books
Camel vs Dr1 Jon Gutman Osprey Publishing

Those are the only three I have right now, please add to the list and lets see whats out there.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 07:46:12 PM »
These are the additional parts in the Encore kit. The kit has a full set of plastic from the Roden DR.I boxing plus the following:

Resin

A replacement fuselage top, the early style ailerons, the F.I tailplane (without that annoying depressed centre area of the Roden kit), a cowling with the correct front face and the F.I lower linking piece, the F.I rudder, and an engine.

Etch

Similar to the Eduard etch with some additions, like the lower fuselage access panel

Decals

Instructions

A complete new book with instructions for the etch and resin, some of which duplicate each other, plus painting instructions

The kit should include the Voss figure, mine was second hand and came without him

Apart from a set of Gaspatch guns, just about all I would want

Richard

Offline Europapete

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 09:13:53 PM »
Thank you for that Richard, I wondered what was in the Encore version. My F1 is the Roden boxing. Apologies for no update this weekend, spent all day printing archive photo's off a famous website before they all dissapear.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 09:55:18 PM »
From memory, the Roden DR.I and F.I sprues are the same

I seem to remember there's something about wingtips being wrong in the Roden kit

Richard

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 10:38:20 PM »
Just a note on the Encore resin cowling. oddly they added the Rivet/bolt line around the front face, added the Drip Pan to the bottom, but Removed the proper indented piece from right below the prop opening. One can see this clearly on the F1 and Most Dr1's. This is why if you look closely at the Decals for the Mustache you will see that they go almost straight to the sides where as on the original they have a Downward bend. So as of now the best option is the Aviattic cowling. One other thing is that the resin Engine more closely represents the Lehrone vs the Obereousal. Another Odd thing is they designed the upper wing cross decals to fit thee Late Model Ailerons!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 03:03:59 AM »
Just a note on the Encore resin cowling. oddly they added the Rivet/bolt line around the front face, added the Drip Pan to the bottom, but Removed the proper indented piece from right below the prop opening. One can see this clearly on the F1 and Most Dr1's. This is why if you look closely at the Decals for the Mustache you will see that they go almost straight to the sides where as on the original they have a Downward bend. So as of now the best option is the Aviattic cowling. One other thing is that the resin Engine more closely represents the Lehrone vs the Obereousal. Another Odd thing is they designed the upper wing cross decals to fit thee Late Model Ailerons!
RAGIII

On the other hand - I got it very cheap!