Author Topic: Welcome to the Forum's Coronavirus Locked Down Theme Build  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Welcome to the Forum's Coronavirus Locked Down Theme Build
« on: April 12, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »
Welcome to the Forum’s Coronavirus Locked Down Theme Build. As we all adjust to the realities of a world where the Coronavirus pandemic has effectively forced us all to stay in our homes to avoid infection, it offers a challenge to coping with unexpected enforced isolation.
As modellers we are better prepared than many to find creative ways to spend this time and so here’s a chance for our global WW1 modelling community to take part in a world wide “theme build”.
This is not a competition, it’s a “community build” theme. There are no hard and fast rules, but the suggested theme is reviving stalled builds from the Shelf of Shame, or projects that have stalled for whatever reason. Now’s the time to re-start and complete them and show forum members your work.
In the spirit of encouraging more entries, the theme build could also be a kit you planned to start but never quite got round to it.
The theme build covers any and all scale models covering the WW1 era – air, sea and land, but as there are no hard and fast rules, off topic builds are fine too. The objective here is to show our model community supporting one another during a time of global adversity.
There are no judges or competition prizes but I will award a kit or two to entries I feel best capture the spirit of the theme build.
There's no formal closing date for this, so it can continue until the worst of the pandemic has passed and life is back to resembling some sense of normal. In other words, this should cover the rest of 2020!
So let’s see those stalled projects brought back to the work bench.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:34:32 PM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline smperry

Monogram Grumman Gulfhawk Corona virus lockdown group build
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »
I'm currently up to my ears in a 1:28 scale Revell Spad, and all my stalled WWI models are also major projects, so I'm going with an Off Topic model. I got my first one 59 years ago at age 8 and predictably messed it up terribly. A second one was attempted and that also went nowhere. So this is an excellent opportunity to finally build Monogram's Grumman Gulfhawk, the one with the landing gear that retracts when you turn the prop. Coincidentally I have had the yellowed decals have been sitting on my truck dash for a week now and the yellow has disappeared.

All the parts have been taken off the sprues and cleaned up. I officially started by spraying the decal sheet with Micro Decal Film. I suppose the next step will be to mix up an ample supply of orange paint. Wouldn't do to run out in the middle of the build.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Monty

Re: Welcome to the Forum's Coronavirus Locked Down Theme Build
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:43:50 AM »
I would love to join in! I'm a really slow builder, often otherwise occupied, but I have three subjects I'd like to finish (with a bit of encouragement!). I'm happy to do any one of the three, but if you'd like to suggest a starting build, I'm happy to start there! All opinions welcome!

Started on a thread here, will be all-black (Josek Jakob's)

Probably in the box coour scheme... I will fix the lurid silver rotary!

In the box top colour scheme - just a word of warning, my figure painting is terrible!

Well, let me know!
Regards,

Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 01:31:59 AM »
I am in with a Few figures. I already added a separate Topic  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 05:07:29 AM »
This is a great idea Dave, loads in the stash and a broken Camel.

Think it needs to be a dreaded kit or a fix so I'll join in with either a Roden 1/32 SE5a or an attempt to resurrect the WNW Camel Br1.

Possible even an Airco DH2, might be a bridge too far but I think this lock down build is a good excuse to attempt a tough cookie. :)

Will make start tomorrow

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 06:59:15 AM »
A nice idea -though I have a poor track record when it comes to group builds, and my wife and I both work in a hospital (klinical lab and IT respectively) I've got several days off planned to use up some of my massive overtime.
As schools are closed we're being parent-teachers as well to our kids, but as all other things are locked down (though not as tight as Spain or Italy currently) I should be able to work some more on models.

I've chosen a pair of off-topic builds, two Revell 1/72 F4U-4 Corsairs. They are new(ish) tools, but not the best of kits Revell ever put out. I've dry-fitted the wings to the annoying separate wing tips (right through the fabric areas  :o ) and spent 2 afternoons getting things lined up, which they didn't, and I kept finding more and more inaccuracies, after which they've been on my stalled-shelf mostly still in parts.
As I have some nice decals for them and don't like half-stalled builts I'm starting these if it's OK?
The decal options, you can do one of each squadron:

(VF-884 "416" is interesting, as it's still flying as a warbird!)

@Monty: I'd say go for the Nieuport! :)

Jeroen

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
I won't be taking part in this GB, but I will be providing goodies for 3rd place.

Happy Tickling!

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 11:13:47 PM »
Great idea!
I have a Spanish Morane Saulnier G, a Curtiss Jenny ambulance and a Curtiss H16 airliner in the Stash of Shame, all 1/72 scale.
I will resume one of them for the Virus Contest!
Roberto

Offline Dave J

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
I think I should get a bit more active on here and restart on one of my Jasta 5 Alb's that I started on when it was released...

Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 07:29:56 PM »
Yes, you should, Dave and we're very pleased to see you back here in the thick of it.
Long may that continue.

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 10:07:24 PM »
Very nice triple build addition to the group build, Dave! Welcome! Marc.

Offline Dave J

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
Yes, you should, Dave and we're very pleased to see you back here in the thick of it.
Long may that continue.

von B  ;)

Cheers Bob, Yeah my motivation took at real hit in the recent years. But a job change in December has made a huge difference. I have already finished a couple of things in the last couple of months.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Dave J

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
Very nice triple build addition to the group build, Dave! Welcome! Marc.

There is actually four of them...

I want to finish at least one of them!
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline smperry

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »
A flock of Albatriiii.
Looking great. Finish them all.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 04:36:54 PM »
Heh heh! :)  Now don't we all wish that if you turn your back your WNW kits multiply by themselves! But I do admire your productivity, Dave - and consistent high standard of work! Marc.