Author Topic: Hey All - New Guy - Some ?'s  (Read 1118 times)

Offline gn728

Hey All - New Guy - Some ?'s
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:50:06 AM »
Hey fellas - so after a long time on the sidelines I've decided to take the plunge.  The deciding factor was seeing the EZ Line rigging method over at the WNW site (definitely not ready for the turnbuckles)  :).  So.. a couple of questions. For 32nd scale is it the .003 charcoal that's preferred? How about the White? Secondly, I know that the Roden F1/DR1 is a reccomended first time kit but I'm dying to do a Wingnuts. Do you think the Pfalz D.XII is too much to start with? It has more rigging but looks pretty straight forward. I love the way it looks - like a flying refrigerator. Any advice is much appreciated  :D

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hey All - New Guy - Some ?'s
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:05:06 AM »
Hi gn728 and welcome to WW1 aircraft modeling, I'm sure you are going to thoroughly enjoy building these wonderful aircraft.

The Fokker DR.1 is certainly a great model to attack for your first bi-plane (tri-plane) as there is very little rigging involved, it is a fairly straight forward build and will give you some very valuable building experience. The WnW Pfalz D.XII is a fantastic kit and builds to be a beautiful model, but the rigging is a lot more complex and having two bays makes it even more complex. The WnW Albatros is another beautiful kit and requires far less rigging, it is also a joy to build and makes up to be a fantastic model, there is an enormous range of aftermarket decals available for the Albatros. The Sopwith Pup is another good choice, even though it has double flying wires the distance between the wings makes for a fairly easy rigging exercise.

As far as the EZ line goes I will leave that up to someone else to answer, I only use monofilament with turnbuckles for my builds.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Welcome aboard, GN.  I know you'll have a blast here.  I build only 1/48 scale, so far, but I know that the WNW Pfalz D.IIIa is an excellent starter kit.  Single bay, easier to rig than either the D.XII or the Pup.  I agree with Des that the Dr.I may be your best bet.  However, with the D.VII due to be released soon, you may want to start with that.  Certain to be one of WNW's best, the rigging is minimal on that one, as well.  Ultimately, what it comes down to is, what do you want to build?  You'll get plenty of help here.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:41:00 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »
Hello and welcome gn, glad to see another take the plunge ;)
Speaking for myself, I have started with Des' recommendation of the Roden Dr.1 but have stalled a bit. I really want to do a WNW Albie DV.a (the one in the Australian War memorial in Canberra) but need to get my skills up first, hence the Tripe.
I've asked plenty of newbie questions on here and they've all been answered with much patience thanks to the great culture this forum has developed.
Your sure to have fun ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
Hi GN, and welcome!  I was in your position a year ago or so.  I started with the DR1, and have to say that it was a bit of a challenge for me, as I tried to use PE aftermarket details that I was not used to.  I was following a build log, but the instructions and the fit were not the best, and I got frustrated with the slow pace and put it aside for a few months.  I restarted a couple of months later, and finished it in four weeks.  I immediately started and finished a WNW Pfaltz D.IIIa in just four weeks, and it was much easier.

Having said that, I built a second Roden 1/32 DR1 in six weeks a couple of months ago, and it was much easier the second time.  I think part of this is just getting used to WWI builds and getting that first one under your belt.  Comparing my experience with the Roden DR1 and WNW Pfaltz as 1-2, I would say that the WNW kit is easier to build from a fit and instruction standpoint, and is structurally more sound (the DR.1 landing gear struts are nicely scale thickness, meaning a bit wobbly and weak when bearing weight, and the attachment points are not a pillar of strengh or certainty  ;)), but the rigging is less on the DR.1.  The Pfaltz was my first model with more riggng and it went just fine using Bob's Buckles and monofilament per Des's tutorial on this sight (definately read it), and I had never done it before.  I actually came to enjoy rigging after a couple of builds.  Like anything else, it just takes a little practice and patience to overcome the intimidation factor. 

In summary, I think either kit would be a fine choice for first time out.  I can't tell if the Pfaltz seemed easier because it is a better engineered kit, or because I already had the experience of the DR.1 which helped me learn a lot.  I suspect it was a combination of the two.  Whichever you choose, make sure you persevere through the inevitable frustration points we all experience, and you'll soon be turning out gems for us to admire!  ;D  Use the tutorials here, and I also find it helpful to locate a build log or two for the particular kit I am building.

If you decide on the DR.1, you will likely need to figure out the Fokker streaking finish.  For that, I refer you to an ongoing current discussion of a simple technique I have used over at the Lothar's Tripe thread in the Completed Models section of this forum, complete with pictures and a link to a great tutorial.

Best of luck, have fun and enjoy.  We're all here to help and support you along the way.  Ask lots of questions, and we'll all learn something.

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
Well now that the DVII is out by WNW you might want to try that one. No doubt a solid WNW build, little rigging and plenty of colour options!

Steve

Offline gn728

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
Hey all - thanx for feedback - and all the encouragement  :). I had pretty much decided that maybe the DR1 was the better choice for a starter - but now that the DVII fleet is in I think it.s a no brainer  :D

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
You better believe it! ;)
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
I second the above.  The D.VII will be just the one to start with.  Caution: You may be spoiled once you've built a Wingnuts kit!  ;D  Have fun!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »
GN,
    Great choice! You'll be scratch building some obscure stringbag in no time at all..........do a DVII or maybe 2 and then ease yourself into a Pfalz DIII or Albie. The help and techniques are all here for the asking, and welcome!
Cheers,
Lance