Author Topic: WNW Tripehound 2nd ever build log  (Read 15038 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: WNW Tripehound 2nd ever build log
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 07:23:46 PM »
Thanks Frederik, hopefully I'll have plenty more positive accidents and be able to complete a half decent model! :)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 11:14:16 AM »
Nice work on the instrument panel and engine Richie , engine turned out most excellent !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 09:29:06 PM »
Thanks Terri, think I need to use a more powerful magnifying lens next time I decal an instrument panel. Was chuffed with the engine though. :)

Offline RichieW

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 01:01:56 AM »
Very slow going here, I seemed to spend 3 days trying to work out where the control cables go and another figuring out how best to attach them. I used fishing line which was a lot easier than trying to thread EZline like I attempted on the aborted camel. Once finished I realised that if I'd spent 4 days figuring out where the lines went I might have got them all in the right place. I attempted to add fake turnbuckles with blobs of glue which look exactly like blobs of painted glue in close up! :)

I'm pleased with the foot board but just noticed that the joystick is off to one side, I'm going to resist the temptation to model the ailerons at a suitable angle. That's for folks who actually know what they're doing.

Of course none of this will be visible so the only thing that matters is that I had some fun and learned a lot. I am now even more amazed by the quality of the builds I see on here but still happy with my more modest efforts.

20200410_144514 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Happy modelling and thanks for looking in.

As ever all tips, hints and criticisms are very welcome. With no local modelling clubs it's the only way for me to learn.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 01:23:51 AM »
I Love your iterior Richie! The seat cushion, belts, and the wooden runners are very well done. I also like your control line rigging. I think the buckles look just fine, especially considering that they won't be seen once all is closed up! Very well done all around.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 01:41:16 AM »
Thanks Rick, I'm definitely improving and as you say none of this will be visible in the end. I'm still summoning up the courage to drill holes in the framework and adding eyelets, that can wait until I'm sober tomorrow! Anyone else drinking too much in lock down?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 02:36:12 AM »
Thanks Rick, I'm definitely improving and as you say none of this will be visible in the end. I'm still summoning up the courage to drill holes in the framework and adding eyelets, that can wait until I'm sober tomorrow! Anyone else drinking too much in lock down?

Yes, but then that is nothing new to Me  ::) I can't hold the model steady without a couple of beers in Me  :o
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:41 AM »
Richie: I think that you need to remember two important rules of modelling:

1. We are invariably our own worst critics;

2. We all learn by making mistakes - well some of us do as there are exceptions of course, of whom I seem to be one!

Looking at your Tipehound cockpit I think that you have done a very good job indeed. I would be very happy with that.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 04:15:18 AM »
Thanks as ever Stephen. I must keep those 2 rules at the front of my mind. I'm finding it quite absorbing working out the difference between what I could do better, what is perfectly ok and what is actually good.

I've been looking at Des's Bleriot build with great interest btw.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 12:42:20 AM »
Bit of a breakthrough day for me. After spending a few days fussing over painting tiny details and wondering how to drill into the framework for eyelets I resorted to EZ line. The floor bracing wires were done with tinned copper wire. The anti vibration discs were cut with a Tamiya disc punch, bit over scale but it was fun to add them and they'll never be seen again once the fuselage is together.

Really enjoying this one, next step is to get to grips with Inkscape so I can cut masks for Dixie II's markings.

https://flic.kr/p/2iPyeuf

https://flic.kr/p/2iPzU7p

Thanks for looking in, Happy Easter all, stay well.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 12:51:12 AM »
Your interior really looks awesome Richie. Your learning curve is really steep and fast!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 12:54:23 AM »
Thanks Rick, I joined a forum and kind people there passed on loads of tips and encouragement! :)

I somehow didn't manage to embed the pictures, let's have another go;

20200412_152140 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20200412_152228 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Offline Borsos

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 01:36:50 AM »
That’s really a wonderful interior, Richie. Your care for the detail stands out!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 01:40:16 AM »
Andreas, thank you so much. I am in awe of your work so your kind words mean a lot to me.  :)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2020, 02:14:06 AM »
Wow Richie , I'm impressed with your work on the pit , really like your wood tones on the struts , well done so far ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .