Author Topic: WNW Tripehound 2nd ever build log  (Read 15097 times)

Offline RichieW

WNW Tripehound 2nd ever build log
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:32:54 AM »
After having to temporarily call a halt to my Camel build I'm back on it with the Tripehound. I am setting out to build a 1/32 replica of the flying replica in the Shuttleworth collection. Apparently Tommy Sopwith liked this replica so much he said it should be considered a late production model rather than just a replica.

20200229_110529 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20191116_105206 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I have many reference pictures from visiting the collection, the fine details would require extraordinary ability to replicate so I won't be attempting to incorporate everything for fear of bungling it all and ending up with another kit on the shelf.

I made a start by painting the interior walls, I spent 4 hours carefully masking everything but the results weren't great. I stripped it, remasked, repainted and got an even worse result.

Next up I remembered seeing watercolour pencils being used so I dug mine out and just drew over the struts, cleaning up is relatively easy with a damp paintbrush. Not a perfect result by any means but good enough for me and it only took 15 minutes. With a bit of practice I think this is the way forward for me, I will try this again when I build the Pup.

WNW Triplane start by Richard Williams, on Flickr

All the wooden parts are painted but mostly remain on the sprue for now, quite pleased with the effect but can't touch anything for a good few days now.

While that sits drying I got on with engine, plenty of time to kill under lock down so I tried to paint all the nuts either brass or bright silver. Enjoyed the distraction form the real world, I used a very fine point brush then applied a wash of flat aluminium around the nuts to cover any mishaps. An oil wash of burnt umber helped further disguise any problems.

Again not perfect but a good result for me, very pleased!

WNW Triplane start by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I really should add ignition leads but I think a glass of wine in the garden has my name on it.

Happy modelling and good health to everyone. If anyone has any tips on adding the ignition leads or anything else for that matter please feel free to offer advice. That's what I'm here for!  :)

Richie

Offline smperry

Re: WNW Tripehound 2nd ever build log
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 02:22:58 AM »
Richie
Looking good. I have been using watercolor pencil for ages and it never occurred to me to use them on the wooden structure molded into the inside of fuselages, (which I can never paint without making a mess), DOH! Great idea and good looking results.

For plug wire leads I have used thin copper wire obtained by stripping the insulation off multi strand wire and unraveling the strands. Takes paint well and holds the shape you bend it to which makes for easier installation.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:27:36 AM »
Thanks SM, the watercolour pencils felt like cheating but no way was I ever going to get the masking right. I changed blades twice but i'm just too clumsy for all that it seems!

Thanks for the tip on copper wire, I'll certainly give it a go tomorrow. I tried EZ line before but ended with lots of excess bits sticking out, definitely not good. My fault entirely, plenty of folks seem to use with immaculate precision.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 04:09:16 AM »
I really like the results of the watercolor pencils Richie! All is looking great so far! The engine is turning out to be Fantastic. It is not necessary but one thing I like to do is a very wet wash of burnt umber and black around the formers. The rotary engines made a mess...inside and out. If you try it start light as you can always add but it is more difficult to take away!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 04:18:22 AM »
That is a really good start Richie. I would not gett too upset about the slightly rough edges to your interior paintwork - after all who is going to climb into the cockpit to have a look? In the same way the highlighting on the engine looks good too - and when much of it is concealed the eye will be caught but will not be at the other end of a magnifying glass to see any overlap.

I agree with sp about using thin copper wire - I have a supply from telephone extension cable if that is a suitable source for you too. There are plenty of others.

On another site you suggested carving a prop - look on my D H 1 build log and you will see that I have recently carved one. There is an excellent thread on this site too about carving props in all scales - DO give it a try.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 05:03:44 AM »
Thanks so much Stephen, I have stripped some old flex and have a good supply of copper wire now. Will have a bash at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the propeller carving references. Will have a good read and while the oil paint hardens I may just as well have a go at that too. Just for the fun though, even if it doesn't work out it will be fun to try.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 05:20:40 AM »
   Great start on the Tripehound Richie, and the "having fun" part is definitely showing through. I believe you'll be very pleased with the results when you add the fine copper wire to the engine, a real addition often missed. This is a great kit and I know you'll enjoy it immensely as you move along.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 05:45:33 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Lance, yes I'm definitely setting out to have fun with this. Not much chance of snapping the gigantic cabanes and I'll be cutting masks on my new present so any holes I fall into will be freshly dug. Got to keep life in lock down interesting!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 03:12:25 AM »
Spent the whole afternoon in the man cave today, the copper wire tip was great. Thanks for that chaps!I added a few at a time in between tea breaks to avoid getting eye strain. The end result was a lot better than I managed with EZ line.

Next up was adding all the little dials and placards to the instrument panel. I had a good belly laugh when I zoomed in on the picture, they're all a bit cock eyed but once the cockpit is closed up I doubt I'll ever see them again.  :)

20200406_174909 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Must admit to feeling quite pleased with the wood effect, my black acrylic wash settled into all the nooks and crannies created by dragging oil paint around. A happy accident!

Thanks for looking, happy modelling all.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 03:41:45 AM »
Excellent looking panel Richie...and engine also!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 03:59:24 AM »
Richie
I really like how the wash you used defined the cylinder fins so clearly, it will make that engine pop as it peeks out from under the cowl.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 04:12:43 AM »
Thanks Rick, I'm less intimidated by this one than the Camel. No acorn to worry about rigging so I'm having a lot of fun, great recommendation to start this one. What a great kit

Thanks SP, I was really chuffed with how the wash spread between the cooling fins. It was Burnt Umber oil paint heavily diluted in turps. I'm hopeful of getting this one to the stage where the engine gets the chance to peek out from under the cowl! :)

Great tip on the copper wire btw, much better to work with than elastic thread!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 05:35:06 AM »
That engine looks real! The wash has obviously worked well and the minor point about the paint overlap on the bolts has just disappeared. Instrument panel looks first class form here.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 06:02:18 AM »
Thanks Stephen, I really appreciate the encouragement. Joining this forum a few months ago has been brilliant for me. Plenty of encouragement and tips have helped me improve so much in just a few months.

Online FAf

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »
Beautiful work! Both engine and instrument panel looks great!
Lucky accidents are signs of growing skill, otherwise they tend to be just accidents... 😃
/Fredrik