Author Topic: WWI Aircraft in UK  (Read 3675 times)

Offline rhallinger

WWI Aircraft in UK
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:03:17 AM »
While the WNW DVII watch is in a bit of a lull, I thought I'd take the opportunity to seek advice from my forum friends in the UK.  I have the good fortune to be able to visit relatives in London next summer for a pure vacation for around two weeks. 

So guys, I would greatly appreciate your prioritized lists of the top things I should see relating to WWI aircraft whilst in London.  I will have the time and ability to travel a bit as well.  I've heard of the Shuttleworth collection and RAF Hendon, but know very little else about what aircraft or artifacts are available.  Your tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Regards,

Bob

Dekenba

Re: WWI Aircraft in UK
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
Hendon is fantastic not just for WWI planes but everything else as well!

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:06:54 AM »
Don't forget the Imperial War museum it may not have a great deal of WWI aviation items but what it has is choice. Richtofen's Oberursel for one thing, plus a wealth of bits and bobs. The Camel there of course shouldnt be missed. A trip to Duxford maybe but I haven't been in a while.

The Science museum has the stripped down E.III of course amongst other olde worlde exhibits.

Are the TVAL A/c at Hendon yet?  Im unsure but may well visit soon myself.. The other bonus there is Hannants shop is just around the corner.

Hours of fun  :D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:45:01 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, and a special thanks to Keith for pointing me toward Hannants!  Couldn't miss the shop while I'm in town.  Hmmm...where will I stash SWMBO while I'm browsing.  ;D  I'll have to send her off somewhere with her sister.  ;)

I'll plan to hit all of the sites mentioned.

Regards,

Bob

Offline gcn

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 07:18:54 AM »
Two weeks should get you a flying day at Shuttleworth.

You should also take a look and see what's happening http://www.stowmaries.com/index.aspthere

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:07:31 PM »
Duxford is well worth a visit, however if you go on a flying day you have to get there early as it gets extremely busy.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
Duxford is well worth a visit, however if you go on a flying day you have to get there early as it gets extremely busy.

Cheers

Pete.

+1
and while in Duxford go check out the USAF hanger. A replica Spad XIII hangs from the ceiling - guess whose!  ;)

Hendon, Old Warden, Imperial War Museum, Lambeth. Science museum for aero engines, airframes and models.
I'm sure my fellow Brits will chime in with more suggestions.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:34:33 AM »
Can I suggest the Shuttleworth Uncovered display on Saturday September 22nd? 

All the Old Warden displays are superb but this one is extra special as you will be able to mingle with the pilots and ground crew and study the aircraft at first hand.   in addition, as an extra treat, the Dawn Patrol group (of which I'm a member) will be displaying their 1/3 scale radio controlled models with a similar Dawn Patrol Uncovered static display and a short flying display immediately before the fullsize display starts.

Can I also recommend Stow Maries?   What they are doing and what they have achieved at this truly unique place is simply amazing!

Museum wise, well Hendon of course :)

Alan

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
Can I suggest the Shuttleworth Uncovered display on Saturday September 22nd? 

Bit of a (late!) update on this.   

It was a typically splendid Shuttleworth event at the hallowed airfield that Old Warden is.

The event was particularly special for me as the "Shuttleworth liason organiser" for the UK Dawn Patrol group.   Our first participation with a static display of 22 aeroplanes, a 10 minute flying slot with our 1/3 scalers and a a solo slot for a 1/4 scale 504K with a working Bentley BR2 was very well received by the Collection and public a like (seen at an earlier show in the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7-H2f-WFOY

My Triplane also had a photo opportunity with Dixie II which was fun.   Shame I forgot to take my little Peanut scale version along too!

The Bristol M1C put on a good display - the first time it's flown in public for ages I believe due to persistent engine problems.   

Stuart Goldspink put on a fantastic display in Dixie II and he was particularly complimentary about my version.

And finally, it was my first opportunity to see the recently delivered Camel, the last project of the Northern Aeroplane Workshop :( and what a fabulous job they have made of it too :)

If you've not been to an OW display and you get the chance be sure not to miss the opportunity, it is a fabulous place.

Roll on next year!

Alan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:20:01 AM »
Thanks for the update Alan, that is quite an impressive display of scale models. The youtube link is brilliant, what a beautiful scale model of an Avro 504K and that Bently BR2 rotary is something else, it is an incredible engine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »

All of the above Bob,

Hendon is cracking! But be aware the Hannants shop is only a small satellite store - so, if want anything, it may be worth ordering in advance and collecting from the store - I think you get a 10% discount if you do that.. And of course, no postage  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »
The youtube link is brilliant, what a beautiful scale model of an Avro 504K and that Bently BR2 rotary is something else, it is an incredible engine.

You're right Des it is absolutely fantastic.   
Shame I can't persuade Andy to build a 1/3 scale le Clerget, I've got just the aeroplane for it to go in!

Alan

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 05:45:54 AM »
Just had to post (brag?) that I am currently in the UK from Oz and will be visiting shuttleworth tomorrow. Very much looking forward to the trip! Also hoping for a trip to Hendon & Musee de L'air if my wife will tolerate looking after our 21 month daughter while I look at planes  :).

PS Can any pommie members give me an update on the cricket score lately? Hehe...
Woof!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
Wish I was in your shoes Jim, the Suttleworth Collection would be something to see, hope you have a wonderful time looking at all those beautiful aeroplanes.

Cricket starts again tomorrow at the WACA, they predict 38 degrees there (48 on the pitch) so that will test the poms out  ;) ;)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
Enjoy the trip Jim - I live probably less than an hour's drive from Shuttleworth but haven't been there yet!

As for the cricket, well, as Lemmy from Motorhead once said "you win some, you lose some, it's all the same to me..."