Author Topic: Getting the feeling back  (Read 1801 times)

Offline smperry

Getting the feeling back
« on: March 06, 2020, 10:45:23 AM »
I am recovering from neck surgery to repair an old injury that had gotten much worse over time. I had given up on working with plastic models as I had lost the feeling in my fingers and was unable to manipulate tools and small parts. Very frustrating to look at a bookshelf full of plastic kits I was never going to build.

Well it seems that post surgery, the feeling has returned to my fingers and I have been able to work on plastic kits again. I haven't attempted anything of a WnW level, but I have been working on some non-WWI subjects to brush up on basic plastic modeling skills and get my bench organized again.

On the unfortunate side, I can't look up very high, nor turn my head very fast and have had to ground myself from flying my RC models. I am hoping continued healing and exercise will improve the neck motion over time. Until then that part of my hobby will be restricted to repairing models other guys crash.

I have been lurking and reading up on the ongoing builds here and continue to be amazed at all the great work being done. Hoping I can eventually put some of what I'm learning from y'all to use on my builds.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Vickers

Re: Getting the feeling back
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 04:10:58 PM »
Glad that your surgery was successful. Lacking sensation in one's fingers can be quite dangerous to the extent that it may interfere with everything from tool use to lifting objects. Sorry you've incurred limited range of motion in your neck, but hopefully some therapy will alleviate that so that you can resume RC flying soon. The good news is that you can look down at your workbench and build models again!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »
Good to see you back here, SP. And I'm glad you're on the mend - long may that continue and with the best results for you going forward.
May the sprue cutters be with you!

Good luck,
von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 11:23:20 PM »
   Good to see you back SP, and that your surgery was successful, I hope the improvements continue as time adds itself to the equation! Take it slow and enjoy those Kits!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 01:22:25 AM »
Thanks y'all.
I'm slowly getting back into plastic modeling. Only problem is disciplining myself to avoid getting hung up on details. That's why no WWI projects so far. Just practicing the basics of fit, alignment and finish. It is amazing how much you forget when you don't use it.  I did  hit a milestone the other day. I got to working at the bench and next thing I knew, I'd lost track of over an hour. Sounds crazy, but after being in a hard neck brace for nearly 2 weeks with nothing to do but stare at the clock and the calendar, a lost hour at the modeling bench seemed like a little piece of heaven.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 02:35:13 AM »
Best wishes of a quick recovery from surgery.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
Glad to hear things are now improving for you Steve,and I hope you are back flying RC aircraft very soon.
All the best
Dave.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 11:03:25 AM »
Good to see you back here SP. It's great that you are able to work on model kits again. Some of the WnW kits are quite challenging for those with reduced feeling in their hands ( I speak from personal experience) but their Junkers D.1 monoplane is well worth building and is a fine model. Some of the Special Hobby 1/32 kits are also worth your time especially the Bristol M.1c monoplane.

The most important thing is not to worry about matching other modeller's work but enjoying the sheer fun of making a model that pleases you.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline smperry

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »
Thanks Dave. I'm working on the keeping it fun part. I'm learning a lot from the posts here about the proper order of doing things to avoid making extra work and trouble for myself. Doing stupid and having to fix it can suck the fun right out of a build so I'm boning up on how the masters do it to keep it fun.
sp