Author Topic: WiP - 1/48 Bristol Bulldog  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
WiP - 1/48 Bristol Bulldog
« on: February 27, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »
Hi all - it looks like my posts got gobbled up from the outage a week or two back; I only just realised my thread disapeared..!  So... here's some pics again.

I am currently building the old Lindberg Bristol Bulldog; it's an old kit of 1960s vintage and needs alot of TLC, including complete rework of all of the external surfaces, a scratchbuilt cockpit, new engine, etc etc... I have a full build thread over at Britmodeller (here - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235065227-wip-148-lindberg-bristol-bulldog/ ), but here are a smattering of progress pics for those interested.

Cheers!

BC

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: WiP - 1/48 Bristol Bulldog
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:48:09 PM »
Surely, at least I am interested. Fantastic work, Brad. You raise the bar with every model you tackle. I admire your resolution to enhance the vintage kit and the results are spectacular! Will be watching this thread.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:48:54 PM »
I commented on your post last week before it was lost so here we go for a second time. As usual your Superb Skills are making this one Truly unique! The interior is brilliant as are the corrections to the fuselage. SImply Stunning!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:52:08 PM »
That looks awesome Brad. It's so good to see these classic Inpact/ Merit/ Pyro/ Lindberg kits getting a 2020 upgrade.

Please keep us posted on your build. Hopefully last week's IT issues have been fixed and this post will stay visible.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 11:03:08 PM »
Nicely upgraded classic kit, Brad.  Will you be fixing the trenches outlining the ailerons?

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 11:19:35 PM »
Brad,
     This must have "vaporized" before I saw it last week. This project is an immediate reminder to me of my recent adventure with the Williams Brothers Sparrow Hawk, the photos look so similar with the "chunky" details, raised lines, and as Ken so accurately describes "trenches" outlining the ailerons"! I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one; these old kits can be a lot of fun if you can keep them in perspective! It's looking really sharp thus far, great upgrades.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 02:53:44 AM »
Don't you worry, I'm more than interested!
Love those interwar birds.

Great scratch work, Brad.
More please!

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Gene K

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 03:55:27 AM »
Simply stunning. The Xacto blade picture really puts things into perspective.

Gene K

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 05:58:56 AM »
Looking great Brad,I just checked out the log.Are you going to use the Redroo decals?

Cheers,

Dave.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 05:23:44 PM »
Hi Brad,
 I forgot to mention something!

I have found the decals for the Flashback W.29 I sent you last year. Your name is on them, just say the word and it Will be so.

von B

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 05:58:30 PM »
Thanks everyone!   ;D

I'm enjoying tackling this older kit. The lower wings and tail feathers are now on, there are some fairly bad gaps which need some filling, so back out with the filler and sanding sticks...

I am in two minds about doing anything with the ailerons; they do look like trenches in close up photographs but they aren't so bad in reality and should look ok under a wash. They are fairly complex in shape and would be a pain to try and cut out. We'll see...

Dave - yep I have the red roo decals, but they messed up a very important detail - the centre red dot for the roundels are way too large when compared to photographs, so I'll probably end up masking and painting the roundels. Otherwise the only other markings on RAAF Bulldogs are the serial numbers, so nothing too complicated. I'm more nervous about trying to replicate the polished aluminium metal panels  :o

Thanks for finding the decals Bob - much appreciated! Yep flick them in the mail whenever you get a chance; no rush  :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
Thanks for finding the decals Bob - much appreciated! Yep flick them in the mail whenever you get a chance; no rush

Will you be doing Oberleutenant Christiensen bird?

I will get these to you ASAP.

;)

vB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 12:23:24 AM »
Really nice upgrades on the Bulldog which I always thought for a 60 year old kit was pretty good. Yours is 21st century!!

Steve

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »
The build is progressing painfully slowly, but surely.

I've now added the lower wing and tail feathers, built the undercarriage (dry fitted), added a tail skid, cleaned up and added detail around the back of the fuselage and underside, built a bomb rack and shackles, scratch built a windscreen frame (the panes will be added from clear sheet later), hollowed out and added the exhaust pipes, and added induction pipes, spark plugs and ignition wires to the engine.

I'm still to decide the exact configuration of navigation lights, flare racks and wind-driven generators that i'll fit to the aircraft; RAAF aircraft carried different configurations of lights and racks depending upon the photograph (likewise i've noted that they didn't seem to carry wind driven generators or radio wires very often (if at all); presumably the RAAF didin't operate much of this equipment).

It's getting very close to painting time... 

Cheers,

BC

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »

Last Minute Man Of Faith