Author Topic: Sopwith 1B1 Bomber Nederland 1/72 Toko kit  (Read 1311 times)

Offline AndRoby67

Sopwith 1B1 Bomber Nederland 1/72 Toko kit
« on: February 25, 2020, 03:17:32 AM »
Hi gentlemen!
This is my last production. Started from the Toko Strutter kit, I have realized a single seat french version captured by the Nederland when its pilot, Adj Antoine Paillard, made an emergency landing due to an engine failure on Meylum airfield, 7 july 1917. The L.V.A. repaired the Sopwith, changed the Vickers gun with a Lewis and flew it. All the french colors were covered in orange by new owners, that added orange circles under the upper wing and covered elevators with same national color. Here's the Bomber:

Pilot came from an old white metal production, maybe a little bit overscale, in origin was a british subject. Rigging is 0,08 fishing nylon. I tried, using both french and dutch decals, to duplicate the visual effect I noted in original photos: french shadows still visible under orange coat.
Hope you like it! Comments and suggestions always welcomed.
Roberto

Bughunter

Re: Sopwith 1B1 Bomber Nederland 1/72 Toko kit
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 04:24:26 AM »
I looks like you put a lot of effort into this build, but this pays back - a very nice model!
The see also details like cut out ailerons and others which I do normally in 1/48, but in Gods Own Scale this is much more filigree - super.

I have a Roden kit of this bird, one day in a far future ....

Cheers,
Frank

PS: I'm not doing bases, so I'm not allowed to talk about it (but I find the grass a bit uniform. Some brown and other green dost here and there would help already)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:34:06 AM »
That is a very impressive build in any scale! I know the Toko kits were rough and to see this one so well done is inspiring! I also Love your choice of an unusual scheme!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 11:45:40 AM »
Different seeing one in Dutch markings , very well done on a not so easy kit .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:03:41 PM »
Thank you for your kind and welcomed comments!
@Frank: I think you are right on comments on my grass. I love to put my subjects on diorama, in my opinion with a figure or two they came out in "life". My "weak point" in that is grass fields, my modeller friends makes many jokes about this... I need to improve!
Have a nice day!
Roberto
P.S.: I found the kit not so bad to build, really better than other moulds. For example, this time only the central "W" struts needed correction in lenght, the external and the landing ones were good!

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 03:37:38 AM »
A very beautiful model, neatly and authentically detailed! I love the colours and those orange roundels! Well done! Marc.

Online Jorgo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:14:18 AM »
An extraordinary painting, very interesting. Well done, Roberto!

Best regards
Jörg

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 12:20:17 AM »
Thank you both!
I love to choose subjects out of the "standards".
I was a fan of the "Insignia Magazine", unlucky it was closed early...
It was full of inspirations, as the last range of Blue Rider decals.
Roberto

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:25:10 AM »
Overall how did you like the Toko kit?  Any trouble building it?  The model looks great!  I like seeing out of the ordinary  color schemes. Someday I hope to build one.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 03:03:46 AM »
That is a superb model. The conversion to a single seater went extremely well and I reall do like the Dutch markings - it makes the model look different. Many congratulations - the more so as it is in God's Own Scale!

Stephen.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 08:34:22 AM »
Well done and a wonderous color scheme !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.