Author Topic: LAST question on Sopwith Camel 6402: Henry W. Woolett and Camels in General  (Read 1706 times)

Offline RAGIII

I found this photo while searching 43 squadron Sopwith Camel on the net. It can also be found in the Osprey Camel aces book along with another close up with Woolett in the cockpit. Does it look like the upper decking has been removed in front of the cockpit near the Machine Guns? Also note the altered shape at the back of the cockpit to the leather padding. As always if this photo violates any ones copyright I will happily remove the photo.

RAGIII

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:03:28 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: question on Sopwith Camel 6402: Henry W. Woolett
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM »
Not easy to tell from that picture

Why would you remove that panel?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 03:16:59 AM »
Not easy to tell from that picture

Why would you remove that panel?

Richard

Some Squadrons / Pilots cut down and modified the panels around the MGs to help in clearing jams. WNW gives some Modified parts but they do not match every mod. I will not copy the closeup photo from the book and post due to copyright. Of course that being said if it cleared up my question I would not have posted  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Vickers

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »
I know that old photos and lighting can trick the eye, but that cowling does not look like natural metal to me. Perhaps, I'm seeing something that's not there.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 03:25:47 AM »
I know that old photos and lighting can trick the eye, but that cowling does not look like natural metal to me. Perhaps, I'm seeing something that's not there.

It's a small photo, and difficult to be sure, but to me it looks more like a canvas cover over the engine and cowling.

Pete

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 04:30:35 AM »

It's a small photo, and difficult to be sure, but to me it looks more like a canvas cover over the engine and cowling.

Pete

The photo is larger in the inside cover of the Osprey Camel Aces book. I am pretty sure the engine cowling has a cover. Also note the rear cockpit has been modified for more space. As for My initial question unless other proof surfaces soon I am going with one of the WNW options leaving the left side more or less in tact.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 01:23:53 AM »
I have made My decision. Thanks to RLWP for the E Mail input!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

New question: Did Camels in General have the "Typical" Turn around of PC 10/12 on the lower surfaces of wings and tail. My research in My books seems to Not show this more often than it does. Still not enough to be Conclusive so just really looking for Opinions  ::)
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
I presume you mean the PC color wraps around the wing and extends a couple inches into the bottom surface?

Looking at WNW instructions for various Sopwith Pups indicates to me that the RFC did have that and the RNAS Pups did not.
Maybe the same with the Camels?

Offline RAGIII

I presume you mean the PC color wraps around the wing and extends a couple inches into the bottom surface?

Looking at WNW instructions for various Sopwith Pups indicates to me that the RFC did have that and the RNAS Pups did not.
Maybe the same with the Camels?

You are correct in your "presumption". I just looked at the Clerget Camel Archive photos and of the opinion that there were variations. I think I will do them on My D6402 unless someone suggests otherwise  8)
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

Hopefully this will be the last question on this airframe. I am looking for opinions on the gear legs. Original style or later/wider type? All Opinions or factual info is appreciated  8)
RAGIII