Author Topic: Sachsenberg's Razor  (Read 1358 times)

Offline macsporran

Sachsenberg's Razor
« on: February 15, 2020, 12:45:31 AM »
I'm thinking of finishing my Avis Fokker E.V as Sachsenberg's yellow and black diamond bedecked machine but am swithering on the size of diamonds to apply.
I think I am right in assuming no actual photos exist to tell whether they are small diamonds in three or four rows, like his WNW D.VII, or larger ones in two rows like the little 1/72 Arma E.V kit and others. Anybody know if there is any empirical evidence either way?
Thanks
Sandy
P.S. I am quite happy about how I'll colour the wings!

Offline petero

Re: Sachsenberg's Razor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »
I too would like to model Sachsenberg's Razor. I found an image purporting to be Sachsenberg's E.V. in post #10 of this thread on The Aerodrome:

I cropped and enlarged the area next to the distinguished gentleman on the right:

I thought I could just make out the diamonds, so I did some image manipulation, and came up with this:

They're still not very pronounced, but it looks like he used the same small diamond pattern as on his D.VII. At least that's what I've decided to do  :)

HTH!

Peter
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:28:38 AM by petero »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:59:15 AM »
Peter,
    That's amazingly great detective work, the diamonds are pretty clear! I considered doing mine in this scheme but since I had a D.VII done in Sachsenberg's scheme I settled on a less controversial one in the end result. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 06:08:51 AM »
Peter, that is superb, thank you. Gives me exactly what I need to continue.
Cheers
Sandy

Offline petero

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 06:35:56 AM »
Peter,
    That's amazingly great detective work, the diamonds are pretty clear! I considered doing mine in this scheme but since I had a D.VII done in Sachsenberg's scheme I settled on a less controversial one in the end result. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Cheers,
Lance

You're welcome, Lance. It's not often that I can impart anything useful to this forum!

Peter, that is superb, thank you. Gives me exactly what I need to continue.
Cheers
Sandy

Glad I could help, Sandy. Now, how are you going to color the wings?  ;)

Peter

Offline seiran01

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
Hey Sandy, consider grabbing Pheon’s flying razor part 1 decal sheet- you get correctly-sized diamonds, wing paint suggestions and a very (VERY!) useful build jig.

https://www.pheondecals.com/32061.html
Mike Swinburne

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 06:28:17 PM »
Thanks Seiran, yes I had thought of using Rowan's excellent decals but had thought the diamonds too large - now thanks to Peter's detective work I can see they could well be accurate.
Problem is the French postage costs: what would cost 2GBP to send in UK, costs nearly 19GBP, so the sheet works out at 30GBP even before leaving the EU. Don't get me wrong I can afford it, but it sticks in my craw that all Rowan's hard work only earns a third of the total while he has to pass so much to La bleedin' Poste!

I've made so many olive winged D.VIIIs, time for a subtly streaked green/brown, blue/mauve one for a change!
(Got a David Coulthard McLaren Mercedes to finish off first, but the Razor is complete in sub-assemblies.)
S

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 04:05:26 AM »
Hey Sandy, consider grabbing Pheon’s flying razor part 1 decal sheet- you get correctly-sized diamonds, wing paint suggestions and a very (VERY!) useful build jig.

https://www.pheondecals.com/32061.html

That Jig is a brilliant little addition, I've saved mine in the event I build another!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petero

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 07:09:05 AM »
I've just thought of a question about Sachsenberg's diamonds. We know that the standard lozenge-printed fabric showed through on the inside; Aviattic has done a great job replicating that look with interior decals. But what about Sach's (or any other) repainted plane? Would the original lozenge printing still show on the inside? Or would the yellow and black paint permeate the fabric and show the diamonds?

Peter

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 12:44:15 AM »
Wonderful info, Peter! The interior colour is your choice, I'm sure no-one could prove you wrong!!! Regards, Marc.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 01:52:22 AM »
I believe that given the way the fabric was doped on WW1 aircraft the interior reversed lozenge would still be how it looked. The coats of dope on the original fabric would prevent the later yellow/black from seeping through at all...
-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 04:05:55 AM »
I believe that given the way the fabric was doped on WW1 aircraft the interior reversed lozenge would still be how it looked. The coats of dope on the original fabric would prevent the later yellow/black from seeping through at all...

My thoughts also ,Seems ALL of yesterdays Posts have been Abducted By Aliens  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler