Author Topic: Fokker Nutz 1/32 control columns  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Europapete

Fokker Nutz 1/32 control columns
« on: January 30, 2020, 04:21:45 AM »
I ordered some of Gerry's new control columns last week, and they were here waiting for me when I arrived home yesterday, not bad for transatlantic service. They are packed in very stout lidded cardboard boxes, nestled between foamboard and cotton wool. They are very detailed one piece 3D print replicas, as opposed to the two part units that both Roden and WnW's supply. Fokker Nuts columns are noticeably different for each version/model of the intended aeroplane, unlike both WnW's and Roden who only supply the same parts across their range. The photo's show the parts fresh out of the box with no clean up done, not that much will be needed. Any fuzziness is due to my poor photographic skills, lol. I believe these are a worthy upgrade to the kit parts and will be very visible. So let the photo's speak for themselves. The first photo is the Roden D6 parts ( All Roden Dr1/F1/D6 parts are the same) and the Fokker Nuts D6 column.

Offline Europapete

Re: Fokker Nutz 1/32 control columns
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 04:37:16 AM »
this is the Fokker Nuts (early) and WnW's D7 (early)

Offline Europapete

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 04:48:20 AM »
A very bad shot of the Dr1 mid production

Offline Europapete

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 04:52:51 AM »
Left to right:  F1, Dr1 Mid, Dr1 Late/D6/D8, D7 early.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 04:56:07 AM »
OK, so my photo's need some improvement.  I hope they give you all an idea of what's in the box. I think Gerry has done a great job on these, and well worth getting. Regards, Pete in RI.

Offline wmcgill

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 10:24:52 AM »
this is the Fokker Nuts (early) and WnW's D7 (early)

What serial numbers is the Fokker Nuts control column intended for? How "early"?

Offline Mossie

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:58 PM »
While there are no records stating which aircraft serial had the Early D.VII stick, it is suggested that aircraft between 227/18 and 386/18 had this stick. The Flight magazine article on 386/18 shows the later control stick.
Now we have no clear evidence but think that the first 21 aircraft accepted between Feb and Mar 1918 may have had the early stick.

If anyone has more or other evidence we'd be happy to look at.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline wmcgill

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 03:34:04 AM »
While there are no records stating which aircraft serial had the Early D.VII stick, it is suggested that aircraft between 227/18 and 386/18 had this stick. The Flight magazine article on 386/18 shows the later control stick.
Now we have no clear evidence but think that the first 21 aircraft accepted between Feb and Mar 1918 may have had the early stick.

If anyone has more or other evidence we'd be happy to look at.

Thanks. Is there evidence showing that any early D.VII used that early style of hand grip? Is it from the prototype only perhaps?

It would be quite a significant coincidence if 386/18 was both the first D.VII lucky enough to be fitted with the late style hand grip as well as being the earliest D.VII subjected to a thorough capture report that included sketches showing the hand grip.

I wonder if the early Fokker D.VII that Albatros & OAW used as a pattern would have influenced their hand grip design. And if so, can we use that as an indicator of when the hand grip style might have changed, if indeed it did?

Offline Mossie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 03:44:18 AM »
All valid questions and we can only assume at the moment. During the life of the D.VII there are a few changes to the grips, Some specific to the engine fitted, the high compression one in particular, it had a two stage throttle, set using a ball in a socket, so the throttle had to be pushed past the slot to engage once at altitude.
There was also short and long thorttle handles in use as well. Again which aircraft is open to research.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9