Author Topic: 1917 by Sam Mendes  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Vickers

Re: 1917 by Sam Mendes
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 10:17:01 AM »
I saw '1917' on the day it was released. I thought that the depiction of the overall environment was excellent. It truly looked like a place where fate was indifferent to any particular individual and the value of a person's life wasn't worth a plug nickel. There were scenes that stretched credulity, but nothing nearly as idiotic as a Jerry Bruckheimer reinterpretation of some well documented event. For me, the most important thread running through the film was humanity. I liked it.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 08:11:09 PM »
Well my two cents worth is that the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan cannot be bettered. No film is perfect,but in order to enjoy ,you must suspend disbelief for a few hours.Very hard I know! ;)

Offline macsporran

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
Or the opening scenes of The Battle of Britain - that marvellous flowing pan of the airfield as the Ju52 lands and the staff cars sweep through the ranks of lined up Heinkel bombers accompanied by the stirring Aces High March.
(And we all know the 'He111s' have the wrong engines but we suspend our disbelief in the same way we know that these aren't really German Luftwaffe personnel, but actors!)