Author Topic: Agent Orange and me  (Read 2068 times)

Offline oldalbie

Agent Orange and me
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
I've been mostly absent from the forum as last year I had to go through an operation for cancer, which was most likely caused by me exposure to Agent Orange from my time in Viet Nam.  Thanks to the VA system for catching it and taking care of it early.  So now I'm back and have a few projects going.  Looking at the work done by so many of you, I'm awed by all of your efforts.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Agent Orange and me
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 01:10:36 PM »
oldalbie,
     Wonderful to see you back, and so much more so to hear that your health is on the mend! I guess we all pay the price of national service in some form eventually; on a much smaller scale I have marginal hearing and back problems from years of jet noise and hauling G, small complaints compared to your experience. Hope your recovery is complete and looking forward to your participation again.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »
Thank you very much Lance.  My thoughts are always with the guys who never made it back, perhaps to be part of this wonderful group.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 04:20:32 AM »
Glad to see you back on the forum, Oldalbie  ;)
May your recovery be swift and your models be plenty!

Take care,
von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 05:29:09 AM »
So good to see you back, Gabe!  Nam took a bit of each of us, one way or another.  Here's to a speedy recovery and I hope to see you at Silver Wings next month!
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 12:26:45 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »
Glad see you back and your health is improving  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
Welcome back to the Forum Oldalbie... we have missed you and it's great to hear your cancer has been treated. Here's wishing you many more years of hobby enjoyment and please share your new projects with us. We'd love to see what's on your bench now.

Warmest regards and best wishes

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 06:54:39 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your messages.  I've missed working on anything lately but I have a few I'm working on now.  Mostly WNW; Albatros, Fokker DVII and Sopwith Camel.

Offline timpivonka

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
I just found out in the last few years that the post I was stationed at in my first tour in Korea (1987-1988) was supposedly a place where agent orange was stored and disposed of.  While I was there at Camp Page, 1/6 of all military construction in country was going on there.  New barracks, airfield, hangars and medical/dental clinic which I was the project officer for.  Every morning, we had to clean the dust off of our dental chairs that had come through the roof of our quonset hut clinic.  There is no telling how much contaminated dust anyone stationed there inhaled.  I haven't had symptoms, but some have reported them.
    Currently the Korean government is suing for the cleanup of the ground water, even though the post closed in 2005.  Another interesting thing happened while I was there.  One of the main roads on post had some large boards across it where it had been dug up.  I walked across those boards every time I went to the gym.  When the road was going to be paved, excavation revealed a huge cache of arms that had been buried during the Korean War.  Glad nothing ever went off when I was walking over it.  LOL
Tim Pivonka, COL (Ret.)