Author Topic: Scratchbuilding a Pfalz D.III & D.IIIa in 1/144 scale  (Read 19895 times)

Bughunter

Re: Scratchbuilding a Pfalz D.III & D.IIIa in 1/144 scale
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2020, 04:43:15 AM »
Lovely engine - so many details! Have seen models with less details in bigger scale.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2020, 03:52:05 AM »
I agree with Frank: that would not disgrace a 1/72 scale model. I am still trying to take in the scale of this.

Stephen.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
Looks a bit better with an experimental wash of oils.  The finished one will hopefully have more colours and a few more components to it though.   :P

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2020, 01:38:34 AM »
So what kind of microscope do you use?
Great level of detail.  I'm following this thread as the work is amazing.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Very nice indeed  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline William Adair

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »
So what kind of microscope do you use?
Great level of detail.  I'm following this thread as the work is amazing.

Hi Kensar, I'm using a cheap pair of 6+ reading glasses for the most part.  I bought them for about $6 Australian on ebay.  In the past I've experimented with all sorts of microscopes, monoculars and desk mounted magnifiers.  The glasses have been the best for depth of field and don't force you to work too far away from your nose like Opti-visors do, so your spatial judgment is much better.

I also use an 8+ jewellers loupe when checking my work to ensure it looks ok.  It is also handy for taking photos, as I can hold it up against the lens of my phone's camera to take extra closeup shots such as the one above.  It sounds nutty, but after a short time you adjust to it and a millimetre feels like a mile.  It's quite gratifying to get things looking sharp under the magnification.  Then when you take the glasses away and look at it you think:  Did I do that???   :D

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2020, 09:01:27 PM »
I'm glad my chair has armrests...

What an amazing build!  :o

Willem
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:14:08 AM by Rookie »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2020, 12:21:30 AM »
My comment was meant to be humorous, but your reply is interesting.  So, 6+ reading glasses have adequate depth of field for you?  Depth of field is why I use a low power Optivisor, but I would like to have more magnification at times.  I do like the focus point being several inches from my face, though.  Less 'stuff' flies into my face that way.   ;D

Keep posting your amazing work!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2020, 03:47:24 AM »
Interesting that you use a x8 loupe - I use a x10 loupe and find it to be extremely useful. However I still could not produce the quality parts that you are making on a regular basis.

Stephen.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »
The Fee is still waiting its turn. Hopefully I'll be able to summon up the phlegm to get the booms done after the Pfalz are completed.   :-\
Had a good week though and was able to make some good progress for the Kaiser.  The D.IIIa lower wings were modified to the more rounded shape  Plus the lower wings for both were glued in place.  I made a simple styrene jig for this and the strength and alignment looks good to me.  Some thinned down Mr Surfacer was brushed along the joins with a 000 brush and I made good on the gaps with tiny pieces of rolled up 1200 grit sandpaper that were dipped in soapy water.

I also scored and bent the elevator of the D.III down a bit then cemented it in place.  I decided not to worry about resetting the ailerons, as more often than not the photos I looked at showed them pretty level.  I kept the rudder straight too, although I might put it to the side on the D.IIIa if I'm feeling adventurous.

I also did an experiment in creating national markings.  1/144 is often difficult inasmuch that aftermarket accessories are almost non existent.  Black crosses without white outlines are not available, so I had to try making my own.  Home printing them wouldn't be crisp enough.  So I made a cutting template instead.

This one is for the upper wing (I wish some brass etch manufacturer would come up with a set of these!).  The cross was marked onto a sheet of thin silver sheet, then carefully cut out.  The shape is hard to get perfectly symmetrical so it took a while.

Once the template was made, a bit of black decal was selected and an initial straight edge cut into it.  The lower end of the cross is lined up with the straight edge then the rest of the outline is scored around with a sharp scalpel.

My scalpel wasn't so sharp, but never mind.  Plus the decal was a bit thick too as it was a piece that I'd given a heavy coat of black, for use when making model walkways.  However the principal seems to work well.  In theory a good set of templates should yield an unlimited supply of markings with no visible carrier film. 

Here's a pic of the test piece.  As you can see I was pretty rough with it, but with some proper care it should do the trick.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:28:30 PM by William Adair »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2020, 04:36:26 AM »
More master modelling in the Braille scale. Your models are better detailed that some that I have seen in very much larger scales!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2020, 11:23:25 PM »
I like your method for doing the national markings , haven't seen it done in this manner before .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2020, 12:19:14 AM »
Beautiful engine and both are looking amazing! I struggle with making masks for 1/32nd and you have done this beautiful Cross in 1/144th... Life isn't always fair  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline William Adair

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2020, 09:57:32 PM »
The large ones are okay.  It's the ones on the tail tail that are killing me!   :o

I think I might give those ones a miss as a hand cut template.  I bought some crosses from a Company called Mark I, and may be able to adapt those.  They have a white border which is well out of register.  However I might be able to trim them down if I'm careful...

Today I tried mixing swatches to come up with a Pfalz silver-grey.  Wasn't very successful though and the colour looks too dark.  I'll have another try later in the week.  In the meantime I also had a go at picking out some details on the motor.  I couldn't get a brush into the gaps to paint the tube which runs the length of the cylinders, so I used little strips of painted decal in there instead.  A bit too bright perhaps?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »
Really nice work on the engine details , one would never know the some of it is decal ..well done William ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch