Author Topic: 1/72 Scratch Built Blackburn (TB) Twin , RNAS, I o Grain, 1916  (Read 2159 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Scratch Built Blackburn (TB) Twin , RNAS, I o Grain, 1916
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
Evening All,

This subject was suggested to me by Softscience on another website as a possible subject which could appeal to my left of field interests. It was built as part of a Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB on Britmodeller, but there is also a build log on this site under scratch builds. I would like to thank John Ratzenburger for sending me a copy of the relevant pages of Blackburn Aircraft Since 1909 from which I extracted the following historical notes.

In 1915 the British Admiralty issued a specification for a long range Zeppelin interceptor which could operate over the sea at night. It was to be armed with Ranken incendiary steel darts which were to be dropped over the side of the aircraft which was expected to fly above the target.

The Blackburn Aircraft Company was already building BE 2c trainers and Sopwith Cuckoo torpedo bombers, but the T.B. or Twin Blackburn was the first indigenous design to be submitted by the company. Construction was conventional box girder fuselages with a rotary engine at the front of each, joined by a 10 foot centre section and common tail unit. The wings were three bay with a large overhang and the fins and rudders were slightly modified BE 2 c units.

The original intention was to power the aircraft with two 150hp Smith radial engines which offered a very low weight to power ratio and low fuel consumption. However production units did not prove to be reliable and so 100hp Gnome Monosoupape or 110hp Clergets were fitted instead. The resultant lower powered aircraft were in fact seriously underpowered and the performance of the aircraft fell far short of the operational requirements.

There were some other problems which made the type less than optimal too. When one of the early production types was being tested the flight test observer recorded that while the pilot sat in one cockpit with all of the controls, he sat in the other with just the engine starting handle. When the Gnome engine was primed a pool of excess petrol formed on the float and ignited when the engine was fired. The observer was expected to lie on the lower centre section and put out the fire on the pilot’s side with a fire extinguisher and then climb into his own cockpit to start the second engine. The fire extinguishing performance had to be repeated and then the observer could clamber back into his own cockpit ready for take off.

Once airborne the test pilot found that the mainplanes flexed to such a degree that all lateral control was lost. This was rectified by adding king posts and bracing to the wing overhangs, but then the relative movement between the fuselages caused the pilot further problems with stability and control.
Communication between the crew was by hand signals which meant that co-ordinating any attack on an airship at night would be been close to impossible. The lack of power from the engines meant that the total offensive load was restricted to 70 lb and the rate of climb was such as to make it doubtful whether the aircraft would ever be able to intercept a target.

Although a total of 7 of the 9 aircraft built were sent to RNAS Killingholme they were hardly used and were eventually struck off charge, a fate shared by the two remaining aircraft which were never taken from storage.

The odd design of this aircraft was to be repeated many times by the Blackburn Company which has a justified reputation for aesthetically unpleasing aircraft, many of which were designed and built for Admiralty purposes, and none of which could reasonably be described as highly successful, even if they were reliable.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:49:55 AM by lone modeller »

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/72 Scratch Built Blackburn (TB) Twin , RNAS, I o Grain, 1916
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:21:58 AM »
As always I really enjoyed following your process on this build! Another spectacular model of a lesser known subject!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
    Well Stephen, you've done it again! A truly unique subject beautifully modeled as detailed in a well written Build Log, and a great little historical summary at the end. Your talents and contributions to the Forum are equally significant, Hats off to another superb production!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 08:20:28 PM »
An excellent model, and thank you for the history too. It has the look of a dud about her, nice to know it was true!

I love these obscure aviation backwaters

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
What a interesting bird and build!
Thanks for the great build log Stephen, I followed with interest.
You have really a great success doing this nice scratch work of this unusual birds 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
Another masterpiece to your amazing collection. Many thanks for sharing.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
Awesome job on this one Stephen !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Robin

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »
Beautiful and unique.  :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
Very nicely done, Spephen. You created another masterpiece.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 07:06:37 AM »
I'm always amazed at folks like you who can scratch-build like this, it's true scale modeling. The rest of us are just "kit assemblers".  :)

Beautiful build sir.

WD

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 09:58:51 PM »
Agreed with all above comments! Thank's Stephen for giving us such unusual subjects!

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 08:00:03 AM »
Marvellous work Stephen;I enjoye learning about the history of your subject also.
Congratulations!
Dave.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 05:21:22 AM »
 Another Kudos to agree with all the above comments !

Ed 
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
Paper models?  You would have NO PROBLEMS with those!  This is amazing, Stephen.  A real modeler's model.  Such a cool machine too.  I'd never heard of it until I started following your thread.

Kudos to you!

Dan

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 03:29:29 AM »
My thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left your generous and positive comments - they are much appreciated.

Stephen.