Author Topic: Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48, Upd 28.6.2020 Suspension  (Read 20273 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48, Upd 1.6.2020 Bugs!
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »
Yup , that does throw a wrench in the build , that is a big difference in the cut out of the wing . An easy fix for you  ;) Looking forward on the results .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2020, 03:35:40 AM »
We have a word in English that start with your pen name and ends in ...ger! I think that it is appropriate here!

Glad you saw the mistakes before you attached the wings Frank: at least you can correct the error more easily at this satge - but a pain on the wing with the lozenge on already.

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2020, 06:34:51 AM »
Well done Frank,

I would have kept quiet and hoped no one noticed!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2020, 07:32:24 AM »
Thank you, my friends, for your compassion!
But that's the way to add excitement to the building report, straight ahead is boring ;D

;)
The bad thing is that I know! And every time I look in the showcase later, I don't see the beautiful model but the mistake. So I have to fix it.
Murphy always makes sure I don't notice it until so late.

But at least it is reported now, so for other doing this kit or triplane it is may be helpful.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
Well done all around! Your usual utmost care of details and the excellent workmanship.
Just one remark, as far as I remember, the layout of the radiator pipes were modified several times and the ones shown in the scale drawings may not be that wrong as you subtitled them.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2020, 11:13:36 PM »
Frank, I completely understand and share your point. But contrary to you, I would probabely have left it like it was anyway (hoping that no one would notice) and having a bad feeling in the guts always when I looked at it. To stop now and to correct it is the hard way but also the best decision. And as it seems you even saved the Tarnstoff decals doing so. Very well done!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2020, 04:06:44 AM »
Frank,
    Not a pretty situation however you have made the right choice. My compliments on your determination to maintain the highest standards of accuracy on your builds and also on your discipline. It's already an impressive and beautiful Model, and now it will be even better!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2020, 07:36:45 AM »
Well done Frank,

Guy

Me too, absolutely!  ;D
Commendable (and heroic!) to say the least, as so many times I was discouraged by such discoveries and left things behind.
I'm looking forward to the correction and the final miniature original, sure will be great.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
Painful discovery Frank!  But I can understand having to fix it.  I'd be the same, after a bit.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Bughunter

« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2020, 06:47:23 AM »
Many thanks dear friends, how you encourage me here! Really helpful and it mean a lot for me!

Just one remark, as far as I remember, the layout of the radiator pipes were modified several times and the ones shown in the scale drawings may not be that wrong as you subtitled them.
I can understand why this happen. The perspective on the picture from the front really makes it look as if the line runs as shown in the drawing. So I can really understand how the drawing was made. Only with the help of the second picture you can interpret what you see in the first picture. I only became aware of this point by the Eduard manual.
Unfortunately, no other photos of this unique piece have been preserved, or at least become known.

And as it seems you even saved the Tarnstoff decals doing so. Very well done!
That was some the easiest way, because I only have to cut them and turn them around the new edge. Cutting is easy, but piecing would have been more difficult 8)
There is a nice saying that fits: Cut off three times and still too short! ;D

It's already an impressive and beautiful Model, and now it will be even better!
... the final miniature original, sure will be great.
Giuseppe and Lance, with all the great mental and physical support on this forum I have to do my best!

I'd be the same, after a bit.
Gaz, that is a very good answer! The slang nickname of this one is "Bit", I think you mean that one?

That seems to be the best solution in such situation: come down, drink a beer, think about it - and fix it the next day.

And one word to actual state: 3.85m rib tapes are applied (no joke! 14 decal stripes each 27.5cm used until now), and I'm not yet done. But nearly done, only the upper wing need some work.

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48, Upd 5.6.2020 Wheels
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2020, 05:07:27 AM »
The lower wing was finished already.
The middle wing are now also done, including the inner cutout.
Today the remaining rib tapes on upper wings was applied. All done.
But with securing the rib tape on the trailing edge with Future I run into trouble.

The lozenge decals have come loose, Future has run under them, blown bubbles, and with every attempt to save it somehow, it has gotten worse and worse. I was so angry, I tore off the centerpieces.

So I put it away and tried to do something different.

Wheels

One open task was the wheels.

The left bright grey wheel ist the kit wheel. This is according to the Datafile drawing, but I think it is a bit small. A friend warned me that the Eduard Albatros is sitting notoriously low on the landing gear, so a small wheel would increase that effect.
The Experimental-Datafile mention also the Albatros D.V pages in the Albatros Special Datafile, so I checked the drawing there. The wheel is much bigger, accordingly the wheels in the Albatros D.V kit on the right in the picture, but there are no spares.
I found remaining bigger wheels from a Fokker kit (the dark blue grey), but the tire is thin and the wheel itself too.
Later I found wheels in a Mirage Halberstadt kit, which are not needed. But this are only the tires! I sanded them a little bit thinner.

On the inner side I cut 0.5mm plastic sheet, but what about the conus on the outer side? I tried deep drawing with a hot air gun, but this fails. I don't have the needed tooling as the experts showed here.
But I have a lathe! So I glued two 1mm sheets and turned a flat conus.

I turned also two brass bushes for adapting the nickel silver axle on the left. I think I have now two bulky wheels which look like the ones on the original picture.

I can glue them after painting and don't need masks.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Radarman

Re: Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48, Upd 5.6.2020 Wheels
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2020, 05:25:09 AM »
Frank,
The wings look fantastic. I'm glad the correction to the cutouts worked out so well.
The wheels and tires will look great, too.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2020, 07:11:46 AM »
Hi Frank, the wing cut outs look great. Once you've reapplied decals it will have been well worth it. Wheels are looking great,  the brass bushes must be tiny. Love how you add these little details to your builds.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2020, 07:37:57 AM »
You are a MASTER Frank! Cutouts are perfect !! The work on the wheels is just another notch in your belt !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2020, 01:58:01 AM »
Thank you my friends!

Crosses

After the experiment with painting the crosses on the rudder I wanted to do all the other crosses in one go. But ...
This project does not seem to be under a good star. I'm just screwing up right now!

This cross on the fuselage is the only one without issues.

The other side has a small problem, but this can be fixed with a brush I think.

I'm glad the decal didn't peel when you lifted the mask.
Gaz posting should have been a warning to me!

I touched the masks multiple times to reduce the tackiness, but it was still to high!
On upper wing it lifted up rib tapes:

And on lower wing I lifted up the lozenge decals in big bubbles, lost rib tapes too. I tried to avoid aditional damages and removed the mask in small pieces but ...

Since the decals are now overstretched, I have no idea how to fix it. It looks in real more worse as on pictures.
I guess I made the main mistake much earlier and the surface was not glossy enough. This has now taken its bitter revenge.
I still lack experience with this stuff ...

Now I'm really frustrated.

Cheers,
Frank