Author Topic: Roden 32nd Nieuports 24bis wings  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Softscience

Roden 32nd Nieuports 24bis wings
« on: November 25, 2019, 01:56:02 PM »
Hello all,

I was reading a few reviews about the Roden Nieuport 24 and the Modeling Madness and Aeroscale reviews both mention dimensional issues with the lower wing. The MM reviewer says both wings are wrong and that each is wrong in a different way, but he doesn't explain how. The Aeroscale reviewer mentions that both wings are too long, which makes mounting locations for the V-struts too far out. Again no mention of the proper lenght is made.

I looked at Paolo's 2013 build of the kit on this forum and he makes no mention of length issues.

I got the kit today and when I compared the wings, they appeared to be the same length; so much for the MM review. But until they're mounted I won't know of the strut attachments sit too far out.

Is it possible the indentations are just located too far out on the model? I'm not really seeing what the issue is here.

Offline Europapete

Re: Roden 32nd Nieuports 24bis wings
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 12:59:43 AM »
Do you have the Albatros Publications Datafile plans to compare the kit parts to? Regards, Pete in RI

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:43:15 AM »
Reviewer/Modeler Stephen Lawson says the wing needs to be reduced in length by "4/32nds of an inch". ( for each wing) So breaking down the fraction that is 1/8th of an inch( for each wing).  Comparing the kit wing to the 1/32nd Drawing of the Nieuport 17 in Nieuport Flyers of the Lafayette escadrille.( the Lower wing should be the same), it does appear about that much too long. That being said I never got that far with my kit so I would caution you to be sure before you cut  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Softscience

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
Reviewer/Modeler Stephen Lawson says the wing needs to be reduced in length by "4/32nds of an inch". ( for each wing) So breaking down the fraction that is 1/8th of an inch( for each wing).  Comparing the kit wing to the 1/32nd Drawing of the Nieuport 17 in Nieuport Flyers of the Lafayette escadrille.( the Lower wing should be the same), it does appear about that much too long. That being said I never got that far with my kit so I would caution you to be sure before you cut  8)
RAGIII

Thanks Ragii. That's pretty significant, 1/8". Yeeesh!