Author Topic: The Tommy  (Read 19736 times)

Bughunter

Re: The Tommy
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2020, 10:32:02 PM »
What about pieces of wire into the embossing, before glueing the surface to the wing core?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2020, 02:27:04 AM »
That sounds like a good idea, Frank.  I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time.  I didn't expect this problem this time around since it worked so well on my Hanriot.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2020, 04:31:58 AM »
Sorry to hear of your rib issues Ken. I am however positive you will prevail!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2020, 10:57:12 AM »
When I did the wings on my FE-8 I used a base core coated in testors liqued glue and double side tape , forming the skin over the core and glued the edges . No damage to the ribs . This is 10 years ago now and wings are still perfect .

I do like the wire idea , would a stiffer wire work well ? Would a slight curve to the wire holding its shape and then super glued in place ?  :-\

Looking forward on seeing on it turns out .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2020, 08:20:38 AM »
Salvage attempt # 284 (seems like it)

I glued 0.020" X 0.020" styrene strips on the top surface of the wings after sanding off all the previous rib detail. 

Then sanded the ends near the leading and trailing edges until flush.  Wing on the left is rough sanded, the one on the right is finished.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

After cutting out the ailerons, I brushed on a coating of epoxy fiberglassing resin to blend in the ribs into the top surface.  The coating is self leveling, glass smooth, and hard enough to sand into a final shape.

We'll see how this works out.

After a light sanding, it will be primered before painting.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
Looks promising, Ken

I have some of those Altoids tins somewhere

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2020, 08:46:40 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how this works Ken, I suspect the answer is "very well". This is such an inspiring build, really enjoying seeing this unfold.

Bughunter

« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »
I really like the outcome! Looks like linen over ribs :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
Hello all,
I am liking how this looks at this stage.  I let it cure overnight and today I will do some light sanding and primering to get a good look at it.  Hopefully, I won't be too distracted by the Roden Fokker Dr.1 and Albatros D.iii that should be arriving today!

I use some Altoid tins for holding small parts.  My wife bought a case of Altoids, so I have these tins everywhere.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2020, 10:17:37 PM »
The wings/ribs do indeed look promising! I am sure you will get them in final form in no time!
RAGIII

Offline kensar

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2020, 01:37:21 AM »
That's what I'm hoping, Rick.  I want to get this project moving toward completion.

Offline smperry

« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2020, 04:37:53 AM »
That is an unfamiliar technique, but it looks very effective. I am thinking that with slightly taller ribs sticking up you could solve the issue of external rib battens as found on a MoS type N or an I'lya Muromets. Adding them later brings up the problem of getting them on straight, whereas your method would ensure they are all perfectly straight.
Really looking forward to seeing them morph into Tommy wings to match the rest of this great build.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »
That is a novel idea with the fibreglass resin - I would not have thought of that. Looking at the results so far it looks as though it could be the answer to your problem.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2020, 03:58:52 AM »
After a bit of sanding and cleaning up, I cut out the aileron torque tube opening and added the spar.  Then primered.

I think the wings look good enough to proceed.  Next time I use this technique, I will not sand the ribs quite so much near the leading and trailing edges.  In the top 2 pictures, the wing looks warped but its only the camera lens distortion.

Thanks for looking in on this project.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2020, 05:23:32 AM »
Looks absolutely Amazing!
RAGIII