Author Topic: Tried HGW wood decals on WnW Albatros first time  (Read 1517 times)

Offline AlbertD

Tried HGW wood decals on WnW Albatros first time
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:06:20 AM »
I have to say for the first time using these I'm pretty happy. After reading about them I saw they were very fragile. I tested a piece and they fell apart really easily. I ended up shooting them with two coats of Testors clear gloss from a rattle can before use and that made all the difference. They held together great and stuck down to a test piece about as good as any decal I have used. Next time I will do a couple of things different though.

These are the clear background ones so they need a color under them. I didn't realize how much the under color would affect the finished color. I used white tinted with a bit of tan and a couple of progressively darker shades of tan. Next time I will stay on the lighter side. Maybe some straight white and a couple of slightly darker shades of off white.

It got easier as I learned some techniques. They went on oversized and were trimmed on the panel lines with a brand new blade. I found a curved blade worked better than a straight one like a No.11. The pointed blade would grab and tear the decal. The rounded bladed glides right through and can be worked in both directions. I had to do a bit of touch up with paint in places I messed up. Still needs a bit of work on the non-wood areas. Aside from the too dark panels I think it came out pretty good for the first time. I plan to try oils too but this works for sure.

Offline Dave Brewer

Re: Tried HGW wood decals on WnW Albatros first time
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:32:45 AM »
Very nice Albert,good advice there,on file for my Albatross /HGW project.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »
I like it so far Albert . These are on my list to try and it is comforting that the reviews I've read on coating them from your feed back is sound positive I did this on lozenge decals and tested a piece . Worked like a chram  . Looking forward on seeing how the rest turns out  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »
   What red paint is that tail Albert?
   I agree with your comments on the wood, the lighter panels really look the part, a lighter base would be the better route to go. Nicely done overall.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »
   What red paint is that tail Albert?
   I agree with your comments on the wood, the lighter panels really look the part, a lighter base would be the better route to go. Nicely done overall.
Cheers,
Lance

Lance, It's 5 parts Tamiya X-7 Red and 1 part XF-9 Hull Red in accordance with the WnW instructions for the MvR Albatros. I think it's a good color for the Red Baron red.

Al

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
Al,
   Noted and many Thanks!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:38:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience with the decals, Albert.  It will come in handy in the future.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »
The wood decals look splendid. I also like the results of the red mix!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler