Author Topic: Panzer Concepts 28cm "Bruno" W.W.1  (Read 16779 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Panzer Concepts 28cm "Bruno" W.W.1
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2020, 03:24:31 AM »
Awesome modelling, Gary!
Just my two cents: If you‘d use the other horse drawn wagon from Esci/Italeri, the „Hf. 2 Schwerer Heeresfeldwagen“, you would have a wagon that was actually in use in WWI. That one here is a strange hybrid which isn’t even correct for WW2...
best regards
Andreas

Thanks Andreas - your suggestion is excellent feedback. I was not too far into the build of the cart, and I do have the supply wagon kit on hand. I appreciate your comments, and will switch to proceed with the supply wagon at once. It's nice to have the scene be as historically accurate as possible!

Cheers,
Gary

You’re welcome, Gary. For long now I have one in the pipeline for a diorama. It’s a very long time project. Most importandly you should move the front axle more forward, its pin is way too far back at the old Esci model.
The „schwere Heeresfeldwagen Hf. 02“ was nothing else but the „Schwere Proviantwagen 05“ (05 for 1905) of WWI. Some more parts were made of metal than of wood then, but nothing really visible in 1:35. But if you need I can send you some photos of the real thing. There is one in the Technikmuseum in Speyer which I took several close up photos some years ago. Just send me a PM.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2020, 03:36:46 AM »
Thanks to the suggestion and help from Andreas, I've now switched the cart to one more representative of a WW1 example. Here's a cobbled-together in-progress photo of the sub-assemblies. I like to paint the heads (resin from Warriors and Verlinden) separately. Thanks again "Borsos"!
Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2020, 03:56:22 AM »
What a project! You spend a huge effort in the build, and that is clearly visible.
I like also the painting of the horses - very lifelike. I would not know, how to do this so I admire that even more.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 02:33:13 AM »
Hello all - a further update to the Bruno build. After spending most of the last month reviewing period photos of the Amiens Gun and going over some correspondence in various chat forums on its colour scheme, I decided on a plan for the camouflage made a couple of templates for the chassis sides. Photos of the gun before it was captured show it with a camouflage pattern that had been altered (partially repainted) when it was put on display in Paris afterwards. I made my best interpretation of the scheme before capture and made a left & right template guide - one of them just reversed from the other side.

As far as the colours go, I took into consideration all I'd been able to research and came up with a five-colour combination that best appealed to how I wanted to see the final model after weathering. These colours have now been applied to the gun and rear cab as a test, and I'm happy with the look, although the scheme before weathering looks very clown-like. I'll post pics of them when I'm able to complete the black-lined borders. This work-in-progress will go on for quite a while as I'm masking/painting ad nauseam. I'm lucky that Tamiya masking tape can be used several times over before it ceases to work properly.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 10:37:01 PM »
Hi folks, a small update here. The rear cab shown in the camouflage scheme with dark demarcation lines painted in. The process will be a long one to paint all of the sub-assemblies, correct and apply touch-ups, paint in details, and weather everything properly. Then I can maybe start an aircraft model again.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2020, 12:32:21 AM »
Another masterpiece in "True Edmundson Fashion"!  First up:  what an interesting subject to build.  To come up with the idea of the build, to locate the kit, reference photo's, and then execute the build, truly a masterful exhibition of the modelers art and skill.  Hat's off and a tip of the Pin Gary.  Second, the patience and attention to detail is truly noteworthy.  The time involved requires patience of Job like proportions not to mention the dedication to see the build through.  I would have lost patience after opening the box and would have ended up selling it on ebay.  As you mentioned a long term project, what tickles me is that you have been working on it since August and it has gone "Quicker" than you thought! ;)
Third, painting such a complex model requires a lot of planning, research and gathering (no small task).  The paint grid you have reminds me of the lozenge paint grids that came with the Aurora White Box releases of their WWI Subjects from the mid '70's.   Fourth:  I can see by the painting of the heads that you are using that microscope to good advantage.  The painting is truly Outstanding and offers the viewer the expression and inner feelings of the subject matter at hand.  My first thoughts upon viewing the horse carriage with the two headless figures was "Sleepy Hollow" squared; glad you had images of the heads.
You have a real masterpiece on your hands here Gary and I am sure that Nanton 2021 will be a rewarding time for you and this model.  This is definitely a show stopper and worthy of any and all praise and awards that are due.  Makes me want to plan another trip to Nanton just to see it in person.  In the Immortal words of a certain individual:  "Model on"!
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2020, 01:09:07 AM »
Hello, Gary,

Well, I must apologise for being late to the party. Having finally arrived, I am astounded at the size and detail of this excellent model offering and more astounded by your approach and the first rate results of your work so far. "Well Done," and best of good fortune to you as you move slowly and diligently toward the end of this massive project.  I'll be following your thread with the greatest of interest!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2020, 04:59:29 AM »
Gary,
   Truly a magnificent project, and your patience and skills are both "shining" on this one! I just read that the Edmonton Show is cancelled thus it will be 2021 for it's "debut", I'm much looking forward to seeing it in person in Nanton if the rotation is retained or Edmonton should it be adjusted. Where on earth are you going to store and display this beauty, it would probably completely fill your new model room?!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2020, 06:34:33 AM »
Gary, that would be a hell of a paint job for me!
Do you use a help of a cutting machine or cut the mask by hand?
A lot of work, but to use masks, a airbrush and a artist like you creates fantastic results. I have no knowledge in this area, but your color selection looks really nice.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »
Lance pointed me to this thread Gary, and I'm glad he did. This is spectacular modelling. Quite an undertaking indeed! You're doing it great justice.
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2020, 11:57:33 PM »
I'm truly flattered by your responses, Mark, Gary, Lance and Frank, and Chris. Such words of encouragement really do drive me to make a decent job of this project  :)

Mark - I'm very much looking forward to the next time we meet up - Nanton in 2021 would be great - remember, Marianne and I owe you dinner! Since finishing that little Krupp gun, the Roland DIV. and the RE.8, the Bruno is my sole project right now and I can see an end in sight within the next month or two.

Gary - Glad you stumbled onto this project, and so happy you like it.

Lance - good to hear from you - and maybe you won't have to wait to see it if you ever pass through our little town (doing the speed limit of course  ;)) you could stop in ...hopefully when they allow that sort of thing in this world of isolation.

Frank - To elaborate on answering your question - masking was planned on those sheets of thin paper, but then masks were cut by hand for most of the prominent colours, then approximated as I covered the area to be done. I worked in stages, one area at a time. By the time the last colours were airbrushed on, it was no where near looking like the template...so corrections were done later. The colours actually change appearance when a black border is placed around them - that got me thinking as to why that was a thing to do in the Great War.

Chris - great to hear from you and thanks for taking the time to look  :). I've really enjoyed watching your latest AFV projects on FB.

Again - such encouraging words from great modellers like yourselves feels very rewarding.

Cheers to all,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2020, 03:22:37 AM »
I cut out a plastic container to make a safe holder to set the gun assembly in - there are a few delicate valves that protrude from the bottom, and it's been handy to have this during the painting phase. Weathering on all sub-assemblies is now on with oil washes, dust coats, and paint chipping and wear.
I'm continuing to work on the horses for the cart, and thought I'd add a photo of that progress, too.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline FAf

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 01:23:11 AM »
Stunning paint job! There's something cartoonish about the camouflage pattern on the gun and there's something very life-like about the paint job on the horse(s). I really like them both!
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 04:37:25 AM »
Gary, I'm worried about your paintwork! That plastic box has such sharp edges, it sends shivers down my spine. I'd rather use a foam pad.
Your paintwork is fantastic!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 04:46:54 AM »
Fredrik and Frank - thanks for your comments!

Frank - the container works fine, and I add many layers of protective gloss coat when I paint so -no problems so far!.

Fredrik - you are so correct about the cartoonish look to the camo. When I undertook this project I knew I'd need to add much weathering to take some of the garish appearance away, and leave a more realistic overall to the model. There'll be many layers of dust-coat and oil paint washes to add. Here is one of the trucks which I've just started going through the weathering phase.

Cheers,
Gary