Author Topic: Panzer Concepts 28cm "Bruno" W.W.1  (Read 16770 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: Panzer Concepts 28cm "Bruno" W.W.1
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 06:11:56 AM »
Just cobbled some sub-assemblies together for a couple of progress photos. Still a ton of work to do (many handrails and smaller details) before painting.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 01:26:52 AM »
Absolutely Amazing! Looks superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
It is truely impressive and perfectly executed.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:37 PM »
Thanks Rick and Andreas for your kind words. After studying references, the Amiens Gun had a cover frame built around the front end when in service. As a final step in the construction stage, I made one from Evergreen Styrene angle. Next will be painting all of the sub-assemblies - wish me luck.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 11:10:34 PM »
Incredible work! I am looking forward to the painting!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »
Incredible work! I am looking forward to the painting!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick - the research involved on this paint job is going to take a lot of time. And the paint job itself will involve even more time. Soon to start, hopefully :-)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 12:02:35 PM »
The detail on the model is extraordinary. How difficult has the build been Gary?
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 08:13:25 AM »
The detail on the model is extraordinary. How difficult has the build been Gary?

Hi James - this is the first time I've tackled a large resin model like this, and also one of BJ DeBekker's "Panzer Concepts" kits. I decided to do this build as a long-term project, but it has gone rather quicker than expected (I started it last August, but had some other projects on the go). The build has been one of measuring, re-measuring, and making sure that alignment is true throughout the steps.  The quality and detail of the parts is excellent. I had to repair a few of the smaller parts that were miss-cast. Some parts are in need of straightening, but hot water and careful handling have sorted that for the most part. The instructions are generally good, but some steps are missing. There were a number of large parts that were miss-cast, but BJ has been very helpful by sending replacements (and explaining some of the missing instruction steps). The rear cab side panels were all un-usable, so BJ sent me complete sides designed on one etched piece of plexiglas - except I had to transfer all of the detail from the resin parts to the plexiglass ones. I needed a good inventory of brass & styrene rod, which is not supplied with the kit. Like all projects, research is needed to build a specific subject, and I found a few discrepancies between the kit and the Amiens gun (it had no ladders on the hull sides, for example).

I'll be doing a full write-up for Model Military International magazine when I'm finished. One of the sections would deal with essential tools for a build like this, which includes a micrometer, mini-drill bits, half a pint of crazy glue, and a ton of model desk space.
Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:24:21 AM by gedmundson »

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »
Righteeo Gary, sounds like a lot of work. I look forward to the magazine article too.
Nice work!
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 07:13:55 AM »
Hello folks, to add some life to the eventual diorama, I'm adding a horse-drawn cart to the scene with a couple of converted figures. I know the cart may be a non-period item (its an Esci WW2 subject), but I'll make it look the part.

I've managed to get a base colour onto the model, and have 4 or five more of the camouflage colours to apply. Some of the details aren't added for the picture, and the jacks are hanging loosely in a crooked fashion. This is going to take a very long time to paint and weather.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline smperry

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »
How in the world did they aim the thing? It doesn't look like it rotates in spite of the round thing under the gun, but it has to unless the RR track was pointed at the target. Was there a fair amount of assembly/disassembly involved between moving it and shooting it? Amazing what humans will do to have something that goes BANG! bigger than the other guys.
Love the wagon. When the 19th Century bumped into mechanized warfare. Looking good so far, I'm excited to see your finished piece.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
Beautiful! Must be impressive to see at close range a _huge_ model indeed.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Borsos

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 07:53:05 PM »
Awesome modelling, Gary!
Just my two cents: If you‘d use the other horse drawn wagon from Esci/Italeri, the „Hf. 2 Schwerer Heeresfeldwagen“, you would have a wagon that was actually in use in WWI. That one here is a strange hybrid which isn’t even correct for WW2...
best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 02:37:47 AM »
How in the world did they aim the thing? It doesn't look like it rotates in spite of the round thing under the gun, but it has to unless the RR track was pointed at the target. Was there a fair amount of assembly/disassembly involved between moving it and shooting it? Amazing what humans will do to have something that goes BANG! bigger than the other guys.
Love the wagon. When the 19th Century bumped into mechanized warfare. Looking good so far, I'm excited to see your finished piece.
sp

Thanks! It could be fired from a rail position. Typically the gun was positioned over a purpose-built rotary mount, and the four jacks elevated the chassis so that the rail-trucks could be taken out. The gun was then lowered onto the mount, and the wheels (in the housing behind the mount) could swivel the gun in a 180 degree arc. This could take quite a while according to the Osprey book on WW1 railway guns.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 02:41:53 AM »
Awesome modelling, Gary!
Just my two cents: If you‘d use the other horse drawn wagon from Esci/Italeri, the „Hf. 2 Schwerer Heeresfeldwagen“, you would have a wagon that was actually in use in WWI. That one here is a strange hybrid which isn’t even correct for WW2...
best regards
Andreas

Thanks Andreas - your suggestion is excellent feedback. I was not too far into the build of the cart, and I do have the supply wagon kit on hand. I appreciate your comments, and will switch to proceed with the supply wagon at once. It's nice to have the scene be as historically accurate as possible!

Cheers,
Gary