Author Topic: 1/72 Roden Fokker D.VII  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Rip Van Winkle

1/72 Roden Fokker D.VII
« on: November 03, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »
I knew this would be a difficult build but where do I begin?   This project took 3 times longer than most builds and I still have reservations about the outcome.

I learned a lot from others who have built this plane before. I kept the color scheme simple as i knew everything else would be a challenge.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

Re: 1/72 Roden Fokker D.VII
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »
 I don't know if I will attempt another Roden Fokker D.VII again.  I had to adjust most of the struts and the stagger does not look correct to me.  I need to find a way to make home made struts.  Any suggestions?

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »
I used Roden decals. Had no problem with them.  Rib tapes were from Old propeller decals.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 12:35:18 PM »
Photo showing Revell D.VII on the right.  I added a cockpit and thinned the struts and added some other minor details. With a little more work the Revell kit can be a respectable model with half the aggravation.  The just received the new Eduard Fokker D.VII and it looks great.  It comes with two fuselages. One appears to be an early OAW and the other possibly a late OAW.  I may try to kit bash the Revell kit and the Eduard extra fuselage.  The Revell kit appears to be a D.VIIF.  Maybe I can save myself some time and tears. Any thoughts?

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
I don't know if I will attempt another Roden Fokker D.VII again.  I had to adjust most of the struts and the stagger does not look correct to me.  I need to find a way to make home made struts.  Any suggestions?

I have used squashed brass tube for struts with short sections of copper wire inside for the pins. Easy to cut by rolling a scalpel blade across the tube

I can solder, so that makes joining the struts together for things like the N struts easier

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 11:06:32 PM »
Lovely results on a kit that is somewhat difficult to sort out! Also very nice work on the Revell kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »
Hi!
Many compiments for the result. I'm completing a Roden D.VII too and I know what you have to rework.
For the struts the idea of Richard is quite good (I'll try next time!). I used 0,5 mm. rods from Evergreen flattened carefully with sanding paper.
I think that Richard system is more strong than mine in assembly the model...
I have only a question about Roden decals: I ever thinked that the "prancing dog" of von Schleich looked to the front of the D.VII on two sides, maybe I'm wrong?
I never used those decals for that.
Cheers!
Roberto

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 11:45:42 PM »
Thank you for correcting me about the fuselage decals.   Considering all that is wrong with this kit this came as no surprise.  I believe print scale makes the correct decals.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:34:42 AM by Rip Van Winkle »

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 09:00:20 AM »
Hi Rip,
my comment was not a "correction". I explain only my doubt based on the Albatros D.V flown by the same ace. There are photos of both sides and they shows the dogs looking forward. I never saw a photo of the black D.VII that you built, that's why I explain my doubt.
Cheers!
Roberto

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 09:50:19 AM »
I looked at Print scale decals and they have it correct.  I may correct it at a later date.  I am just happy this project is over.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 06:34:53 AM »
It may have been a pig of a kit to build but the result looks fine to me. That is an interesting scheme too and another new one for me. Nothing to be ashamed of there - I would be happy to have that in my cabinet.

Stephen.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments.  I think I will build something a little less challenging for a while.

Offline Robin

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 10:07:23 AM »
When it was a struggle...it doesn't show, so you managed to slay that dragon.  :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.