Author Topic: Removing enamal paint  (Read 1243 times)

Offline sobrien

Removing enamal paint
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:40:24 AM »
First let me say that I am a brush painter. I started on my WNW SE5a and am not happy with the paint I was using for CDL. It did not cover thinly enough and is not setting well. Luckily I was only painting the inside of the fuselage. What is the best way to remove the paint without damaging the plastic?

Thanks for any help,

Sean

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Removing enamal paint
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:18:10 AM »
Hmmm....enamel does etch into the plastic a bit so Im thinking letting it cure then sanding lightly. Oven cleaner I think was another option but Im going to let someone else confirm that.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:35:37 AM »
Have a look at the link below Sean, it may give you some good ideas, read the entire link as there are quite a few different techniques mentioned.

Des.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/how-remove-enamel-paints-plastic-kits-149695/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:37:13 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline sobrien

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »
Thank you Des and Steve for your help.

Sean

Offline ETG

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 05:23:53 AM »
What's easier than oven cleaner? Never fails.
Just remember it's dangerous stuff. Wear long rubber gloves and a mask. You do NOT want to inhale this stuff..!!
Take a strong, leak proof plastic bag, insert a good squirt of oven cleaner, put the model in the bag, and cover the model
in OC. Leave overnight.
(Edit: while the model soaks, keep the bag closed with a rubber band or clothes pin)
Put your gloves back on and take the model out. Rince, while rubbing with a large brush. You'll see the paint just flow
away while the plastic is totally unharmed.
(Here we see the disadvantage of acryllics....When dry, it is a sort of plastic, too. So, what do you use to remove it from
a plastic model? Pure alcohol works best, but veeeery slowly. Endless rubbing with a firm brush, dissolving the paint.)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:57:11 AM by ETG »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »
Sean,

I've used regular window cleaner (with amonia) on both acrylics and enamels with good success. I use "Windex" and it's very quick on acrylics, enamels take two or three treatments. Just soak the parts in a bowl or dish, give it a few hours, and scrub with an old toothbrush to remove the paint. Any stubborn paint remaining, repeat the process. I've never had any damage issues, hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »
  Sean,
To the suggestions and tips from above I'd add the spray on type whitewall cleaner. I can't remember the brand I here but it's available at any Auto Zone or Walmart.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
  Sean,
To the suggestions and tips from above I'd add the spray on type whitewall cleaner. I can't remember the brand I here but it's available at any Auto Zone or Walmart.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

I suppose you mean Westley's Bleche Wite -- never tried it for this purpose, only used it for what it was intended, but I believe it; it is rather nasty stuff. They warn you to keep it off the car's paint, so that should tell you something :)

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:48:58 AM »
I have seen Bleche White recommended in the past for removing mold release from resin parts.

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
if you can get it try "scalecote" its a paint remover designed for plastic models. it works great. i also use it as brush cleaner. but you can also try the main ingredient in scalecote which is very cheap. goto the drugstore and get some 91% isopropyl alcohol. it works and its $1.99 for a pint.the cleaner "simple green" works but not as well. i use a stiff paintbrush with all of the above to get the paint off quicker and out of the creavaces
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:41:09 PM by ALBATROS1234 »