Author Topic: Kentucky here  (Read 3678 times)

Offline aaronc

Kentucky here
« on: October 27, 2019, 08:27:41 AM »
Hello,..I usually work with bone/horn/antler but the bug has bit me on these old aircraft. I have no experience with plastic but have been doing research and gathering a few supplies and making list for a few months now. Plan to dive into my first sometime this winter. Looks like a great forum for my interest. -Aaron

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Kentucky here
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Aaron

Really, there are no rules about what materials you have to use when building model aeroplanes. I bet you have a lot of transferable skills

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
Welcome aboard, Aaron  8)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Aaron

Really, there are no rules about what materials you have to use when building model aeroplanes. I bet you have a lot of transferable skills

Richard

Richard,..thanks for the welcome. I already have some of the basic tools and certainly have a place to do it in my shop,...so the learning curve will be really just the fact that I am dealing with plastic in every way...how it accepts paint,..cutting it ,...sanding it..etc..I just need to get my hands on it. Some of the skills you guys have in weathering and the realism you get is something I hold in high regard. You guys are very talented. I love looking through these threads and your galleries. - Aaron

Offline Robin

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 05:18:08 PM »
Welcome aboard Aaron,

Now I'm curious about your antler and bone work....why not show something?

Robin  :)
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 10:53:26 PM »
    Welcome to the Forum Aaron. I'd like to see some of your work as well!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline aaronc

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »
Welcome aboard Aaron,

Now I'm curious about your antler and bone work....why not show something?

I was an outdoors kid growing up...I never did any modeling. However the hunting and such led to taxidermy later on,.. a lifelong fascination with antler led into some antler carving. That is my main passion....carving antler and bone. I also work with a guy that makes powder horns,..I do that plus I  scrimshaw a few a year. I also like to refinish an old tool on occassion...usually a hand plane or an axe. Down the road if you guys see me posting any diorama I guarantee you it will be sitting on a piece of tiger maple,..it's really the only wood I like to work with. Anyway,..it's complicated lol...but seeing the work you guys do it has sparked my interest to try one of these WW1 planes,..probably a few. Here is a couple of moose antler palms,..some scrimshawed horns,..and the current project on the bench is a giraffe bone. The base is stained but not finished so it will "pop" more when complete. I've done some carving on it since pic was taken.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 11:15:40 PM »

Offline aaronc

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 11:20:37 PM »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 11:34:54 PM »
Aaron,
   That's simply magnificent work! I have a lot of antlers hanging around here as well, but all simple full mounts and certainly no carving or scrimshaw in evidence! I don't hunt much anymore due to health shortfalls but do get out for 3-4 days once a year on my home property with my Son and Grandson, a family tradition for many years! A lot of the skills apparent in your work show up in your first model here, I hope you continue with the model building hobby...... and again a pleasure to view your original works.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Robin

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 11:48:56 PM »
That's amazing.... Love it!

Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 12:34:50 AM »
,.....some ink and antler repair. I use apoxie sculpt for the antler repair.....I dont do taxidermy anymore and did not mount the deer. I have seen some of you guys use it as well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:39:16 AM by aaronc »

Offline aaronc

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 12:36:03 AM »
,........pardon the messy shop. Thanks for the comments. I have a background in piddlin  ::)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 03:42:15 AM »
In the UK, I think that would be called scrimshaw work

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline aaronc

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 03:49:18 AM »
In the UK, I think that would be called scrimshaw work

Richard

Richard,..you are correct. It is called scrimshaw here too....I for some reason call it ink work half the time. Best Regards - Aaron