Author Topic: "What Started it All"  (Read 1332 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
"What Started it All"
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:02:23 AM »

The Floyd Gibbons classic, mine is from the original batch published in 1927. Full of inventive facts and prose but never the less a true classic. My Grand Father bought me this book at a church Rummage Sale he volunteered at to raise money for orphans and under privileged children for 25 cents when I was 10 years old. I was already building models and telling the world that I was going to be a Pilot when I grew up, this book put me "over the edge"! As you can see I've all but worn it out over the years but it is one of my most treasured possessions. It is also a valued memento of a man who more then any other instilled his "old country" ethics and values in his Grandson.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

Re: "What Started it All"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 01:14:13 AM »
Lovely Lance!

I love old books like that. I’ve actually got quite a collection now.

My love of Flight came from Biggles Books & Airfix.. Never wanted to do anything else after that!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:56:16 AM »
Guy,
    I too have a weakness for old books, Here's another "blast from the past"; relatively recent (1967) however another treasure. The inscription is by Sir William S. Stephenson (A man called Intrepid) who had 22 kills in WW.I. I didn't realize it was his inscription until years after I found this in a second hand book store for around $1 as I recall!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 03:43:21 AM »
Ooh lovely Lance,

I haven’t heard of that one - I’ll have to try and get it now!

Much prefer the old editions.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941