Author Topic: My first little WWI planes reference book  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Robin

My first little WWI planes reference book
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:04:01 PM »
Bought in 1969....I was 9. This is also the oldest book I still own.
It's a Dutch translation...first published in English by Blandford Press in 1967.
73 colour profiles of WWI planes.

Robin

Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Thumbs up

Re: My first little WWI planes reference book
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »
I had this book to! I was astonished to find out that there were other aircraft other than what Airfix kitted!Great illustrations!

Offline ermeio

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 06:52:25 AM »
you've pretty the same memories of mine.
during the '70s I bought the same book -in italian at the stand of a well known chatolic presshouse  on the beach

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 01:14:30 PM »
my first WWI planes book wasn't a reference book, it was Ernst Udet's memoir. that got me interested in WWI planes.

well, to be fair, Snoopy had a role in that too...

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 01:52:33 AM »
My first reference book was  aircraft of WW1 by Kenneth Munson.  I received it for x-mas 1968. I still have it.

Online macsporran

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 05:43:33 AM »
I had the Blandford book too - even used their colour scheme for the Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VI when it first came out!
Only later did I begin to doubt it......
Sandy

Offline pierrelm

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »
My first WWI reference was the Hippo pocket-sized title, bought I'm sure from the WH Smiths new kiosk on Peterborough station. A title that has now been with me for over 50 years and is still cherished - when I think 'Hannover' or D.VII it's the images from this well thumbed titled which first come to mind.

The Blandford books were discovered, to almost disbelief at my local library - a real treasue trove, although even back then, the colours we a little too vivd to seem real. Luckily, we now know everything there is to know about WWI colours and camouflage.  ::)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 07:47:41 AM »
Evening All,

Like pierrelm I too have a much loved (and thumbed) copy of the Hippo book, and its WW2 partner. I cannot remember how old I was when I bought it - probably in my early teens - but one photo always stuck in my mind because it was of a type that I badly wanted to have as a model but could not. It was the Maurice Farman 7 Longhorn:

Approximately 50 years later I decided that the photo needed to be brought to life, so I scratch built my own MF 7! (there is a build log on this site).

Another volume that I bought a little later was this:

Note the price - 4/6d - approximately 23 pence in modern Sterling, but at the time a considerable sum, especially when all I had was 3/- a week pocket money! Still a treasure trove though.

At Christmas 1966 my brother gave me this:

which really aroused my interest in the aviation of this period. What Funderburk left out though was the intense cold, oil all over the goggles and face from a rotary engine, unreliable engines and jammed guns, and all the other non-glamorous aspects of early flying. Still a very good read though, especially for a boy in his mid-teens.

Stephen.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 10:02:42 PM »
Great thread! I didn't have many books when I was little, but I remember that the first book I read was a paperback version of "Iron Men With Wooden Wings". Many of the books already noted in this thread were available at either my school or well-stocked public library and hauling stacks of them to and fro was probably my very first workout regimen.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."