Author Topic: Vickers machine gun end caps  (Read 4855 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Vickers machine gun end caps
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:09:52 PM »
This is a bit of a puzzle, these caps are not in Harry Woodman's excellent book:

That is from the Wingnut Wings Camel archive images: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3155&cat=1

You can find them on Clerget, Gnome engines, and on Ship's camels. They seem to be fairly common. There sems to be one Camel in the WNW set that has one cap and one with an open ended gun

Does anyone know anything about these?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Vickers machine gun end caps
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 10:16:33 PM »
There is more detail here:

http://www.mincbergr.net/index.php?page=sopwith-camel-2

Excellent images of the Brussels Camel

Richard

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 11:01:09 PM »
Interesting end cups on those Vickers . Haven't seen that configuration before , or just never really notice before , then again I don't have a lot of info on British subjects . Do you have the datafile on Brit guns ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 11:50:43 PM »
Interesting end cups on those Vickers . Haven't seen that configuration before , or just never really notice before , then again I don't have a lot of info on British subjects . Do you have the datafile on Brit guns ?

Terri

I don't think so, I'l have to check

The end caps are actually quite common, I've been looking for stuff for a Gnome powered Camel, the top one on this page:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1955/1955%20-%200529.html

The PDF file stands being zoomed in enough to read the name on the cockpit side. This aeroplane has the end caps

Richard

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 12:01:33 AM »
The photo on page 8 of Mini Data File 6 "Vickers Guns" by Harry Woodman shows these end caps. (Photo is of the Brussels Museum Camel) They are described as "Hemisperical 'mufflers' fitted to reduce the intake of cold air at altitude". I couldn't find any more mention of which guns or aircraft may have had this addition.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 01:38:20 AM »
Excellent work, Lance - and of course I have that datafile and forgotten about it!

I have been emailing Costas at Gaspatch about these, I'll pass that information on

It also explains an aeroplane having only one fitted - the other appears to have a well ventilated end to the casing. It would make sense to use mufflers on such a gun

Thank you

Richard

Offline Jammed Vickers

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »
Many years ago, I added these to an old Revell 1/28th Camel.  After pondering it for a few days, I noticed that part of a gel capsule from medicine was about the right size.  It was easy to slice the end off with a new blade and cut the opening for the Vickers muzzle.  A drop of glue and a dab of paint and it was done.  A compounding pharmacy would probably sell some empty capsules.
Wayne

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared."

Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, 94th Pursuit Squadron, AEF