Author Topic: Macchi M.5 1/48th  (Read 6333 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Macchi M.5 1/48th
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »
All,
Here is my newest paper model.  This one is designed by a fellow named Marek and it is colorful and well printed.  I'm making it for a friend who is visiting Italy currently.  If it turns out...I may keep it!   ::)

I started cutting things out and pasted the structural parts on to 1/32nd balsa.  I then skinned the tails and the lower wing so far.  It will be a pretty little beast.

Thanks for looking!
Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Macchi M.5 1/48th
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 11:26:25 PM »
Following along Dan on this one , looks like it is a really nice kit and off to a good start  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
Thank you, Terri.  It's a lovely machine and the kit is printed nicely and seems to fit great too.  You can see the complex markings match up well.  The only issues you see are likely mine.  Once you cut these things, you are pretty much on your own!  The designer has it just so and if you off by a half a blade width, that can make a difference.  Paper models aren't for wimps!  You are an awesome builder.  You should have a go at one.
There are free Halberstadts and Hannovers you may like!  Just let me know.

So I did some more work on the interior and got the complex hull/nose done with lots of fiddling.  With some paint touch up, it doesn't look too bad.  I put a windshield on and started the top rear but had to stop just aft of the cockpit.  It's bed time!

Thanks for looking at these shots.  More soon...Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:34:02 AM »
Here is my newest paper model.

Thanks, Dan. I've been looking forward to your next build!!

Gene K

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
Now that is looking very sharp Dan  :)

Will have to think about it . Will let you know  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, Gene.  I hope I shall not disappoint!  And thanks for looking in again, Terri. 
Tonight I got the top decking and the underside done.  Still needs some touch up but looks pretty promising.  I also got the tails mounted on their rear deck but didn't mount them on the fuselage quite yet. 
More to come!
Dan

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 01:19:02 AM »
Hi Dan!
As a plastic modeller I may only say "congratulations" to modeller that build paper models, in my opinion this kind of modelling is more difficult than mine.
Second, as italian, I'm really happy when someone decide to realize one of our subjects.
Unlucky, as italian too, I'm really sad when I see my mother tongue used in that way.
I explain: in our language, "ICH SON AVE" means nothing. In fact, on the sides of Arcidiacono's M.5 was written "I CASI SONO DUE", that means "There are two cases", that means that in the aerial fighting "Sure one of us will fall down" or, more simply, "Me or you".
The error in presenting this machine was made first in the plastic 1/48 kit made by Fly, and your paper model seems really a copy of it.
I have doubts too about the green on the upper surfaces of the bow.
So, if you want to decide to completing the model in that way, I say "congratulations" again, because of the high level of your work.
There is a color profile made many years ago by Bob Pearson that it was more realistic.
Greetings,
Roberto

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 02:31:39 AM »
Roberto!  Thanks so much for your input.  This is why I like this site so much.  I had no idea and was just using the printed kit as downloaded.  Since the fuselage is a bit "rough" around then edges, I could use that as an excuse to fix this and get it right!

Challenge accepted.  It may be the only model of this plane with the correct markings!

Dan

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 06:42:57 PM »
Hi Dan!
If you have the Windsock Datafile 86 dedicated to it on the cover and inside there are suggestions and photos about it.
Take care by the fact that the end of the Vickers guns came out from the hull in the position of the tiger's eyes.
Here a model really near to reality: http://www.kierat.de/modeling/m5/m5.htm
Roundels under the wings was not a rule, some M.5 had them and some not. In the original photo there is a difference between green outer ring of the upperwing roundel and green camo of the wing.
In fact, no one knows the true colors of the tiger head, my doubts came out by the fact that if it was yellow based in the ortho photo it should be dark, not light.
This is another interpretation based on two of the photos of it:

"I CASI SONO DUE" in red was possible, the white saw thoots markings on the hull was recognizing livery for the 261a Squadriglia.
Hope useful!
Roberto

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:59:17 PM »
Is this the model you are building?:

http://zarkovmodels.com/en/?pid=186

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 11:45:11 PM »
It seems I have Missed quite a lot  :( Your build is looking excellent as always! Looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 12:42:08 AM »
Thanks, Roberto...that helps a lot. I see that I don't need to be all that neat on the letters!  But I may just to make it look nicer.

Hi Richard!  Yes...that is indeed the model.  I've built several of Marek's models and they sure look like the original when done.  I have one of his early Bf-109s and It looks more accurate, to my eye, than lots of plastic models.  He's a good designer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joodHXyouDg&t=27s

More tonight.  I shall work on fixing up the fuselage and create the upper wing as well.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 07:15:27 PM »
Hi Dan,
I forgot to advise you about a little thing that modellers missed in making M.5. The starboard forward strut that support the engine was more "large" because the piping to feed and command the motor were wrapped toghether with the metal strut. You can see this in photos.
Yes, "I CASI SONO DUE" lettering was not so regular, it seems that around letters there was something like "tiger stripes" also if, in my opinion, the animal head was not of a tiger (a bat?).
If I will build an M.5 with this scheme, I will choose natural wood for the rear hull instead of green, just aft of the beast head, keeping the hull roundel visible with its green outer ring. I will choose black for "I CASI SONO DUE" with same color of the head for the striping.
But, I built an M.5 from the Pegasus 1/72 kit and I choose different flamboyant scheme:

Greetings,
Roberto

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 02:25:48 AM »
Now that's pretty!  I do like all of the neat schemes on this machine.  Since I have the download for the paper model, I could make an army of these!

Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »
Step one of the new scheme is done.  Masked off the front and the roundel and sprayed with deck tan and then hit with burnt umber oil and then clear orange.  Next will be the white saw teeth and then I'll tackle the lettering.  That will take some practice!

Cheers,
Dan