Author Topic: Sopwith Dolphin rigging detail question  (Read 1407 times)

Offline AlbertD

Sopwith Dolphin rigging detail question
« on: September 26, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »
In looking at period photos of Dolphins I see on some that the intersections of crossed rigging are bound together. I'm not sure I plan to replicate it but was wonder why they did it. Was it to help with vibration? It's the first time I have noticed it but of course I have never really looked that closely before.

Pictures of it can be seen on the higher resolution pictures on the WNW website.

Bughunter

Re: Sopwith Dolphin rigging detail question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 05:42:17 AM »
The Dolphin is rigged with RAF wires, which are flat steel bars with threads at the end.
The crosses besides the cockpit are not two crossing bars, but 4 bars pinned with connection plates in the middle. This can be loosend by a screw/butterfly nut connection to act as emergency exit when the plane is lying on its back. Otherwise it will be hard to get out for the pilot due to the special wing construction. In front of him are the Vickers MGs and on the back the header tank.

I mean the part on top of the "t" in this picture:

Source: wingnutwings.com

Cheers,
Frank

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 05:52:35 AM »
The Dolphin is rigged with RAF wires, which are flat steel bars with threads at the end.
The crosses besides the cockpit are not two crossing bars, but 4 bars pinned with connection plates in the middle. This can be loosend by a screw/butterfly nut connection to act as emergency exit when the plane is lying on its back. Otherwise it will be hard to get out for the pilot due to the special wing construction. In front of him are the Vickers MGs and on the back the header tank.

I mean the part on top of the "t" in this picture:

Source: wingnutwings.com

Cheers,
Frank

Hi Frank,

That part is on the PE sheet in the kit. The version I am building does not use that. I was referring to the intersections of the rigging wires on the struts. Looking more closely at photos of other planes including German I see that some have some type of wrapping or fitting on the wire intersections. No matter, I'm just trying to learn more about how the real aircraft was built and worked. Just adds to the fun and interest. Besides I love to see the evolution of technology.

Thanks, Al

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:49:12 PM »
Crossed rigging was tied together to reduce vibration, as you mentioned, to reduce wear of the rigging at the intersection, and to stiffen the whole structure.

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »
Crossed rigging was tied together to reduce vibration, as you mentioned, to reduce wear of the rigging at the intersection, and to stiffen the whole structure.
Thank you for the information. I have seen photos of several other planes with the same ties. Interesting stuff for sure.