Author Topic: Using/Thinning Future Floor Wax  (Read 1554 times)

Offline rolanddvi

Using/Thinning Future Floor Wax
« on: September 26, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »
Somewhat of a follow-on topic from the post about WNW decals. I am Working on a WNW Pfalz. I used some decals from Pheon and let them dry for 3 days. Then I used Tamiya clear as an overcoat. The Tamiya clear didn't seem to work well with the Pheon decals. Lesson learned. So now I am moving forward and want to clearcoat using Future.

My questions are:

What should I use to thin the Future for use in an airbrush?

What would the ration be - 1:2, 1:4, etc.?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Using/Thinning Future Floor Wax
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
Mike,
   I'd venture to say you will get as many different answers to your question as the number of Modellers you ask! I've tried every method and medium there is to thin the stuff down (I use "Pledge with Future Shine) as the available Canadian version these days. My best advice to date, and recently from another model builder is: "Don't thin it", as long as it isn't really old spray it as is. Actually I mostly use a wide soft brush, work quickly, and get really good results, FWIW!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
Thanks Lance. I have brushed it on other models before but they were 1/72 scale. I was wondering if using that same method would work on a much larger model. I think I will give it a go and use my airbrush and go from there. I can always use the brush method if it doesn't work for me.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Mike

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
Mike,
   I'd recommend you try it on a test piece first, so many recommendations I've had on this over the years from Modellers who swear they work well have failed for me. I recall trying distilled water as a thinner and it really didn't work well at all. Let me know how it works out for you. Perhaps someone else can chime in with recommendations here as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »
Hi Mike
I brush Future on with a wide soft sable brush and apply it unthinned on all scales
It works best if the  brush is not overloaded with Future and it's applied in a single direction.
Often I find it needs 2 or even 3 coats for an even glossy finish.
I'm using old Future and the newer Pledge with Future shine with equal success.
Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 06:54:24 PM »
I use the same method as Lance and Dave.
A wide soft brush and working quickly. 
To make sure the brush is dust free I use my airbrush to blow air through the bristles.

Good luck
vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:54:48 PM »
I do the same as the others, but for the first coat over decals, I thin with Simple Green general cleaner/degreaser.  This reduces the beading effect of the Future over decals.  Once this dries, additional coats of pure Future can be put on.  I mix about 1/3 Simple Green to 2/3 Future.  Like the others have said, try it on test parts first.  What works for some people won't work for everyone, for some reason.  I also have a stash of the 'old' Future that I am using.

Offline ModelingBob

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 01:49:46 AM »
The best thinner for airbrush application of Future is Mr Color Levelling Thinner. Works great. Thin at 1:1 and airbrush at 15 PSI. A few light mist coats to start, then follow with heavier wet coats. If the bottle is fairly new and not too thick, you may be able to airbrush it neat at 20 PSI. I tend to get a smoother finish when thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner, so that's the way I always roll.