Author Topic: Starting to plan a trip to NZ  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Europapete

Starting to plan a trip to NZ
« on: September 14, 2019, 12:53:16 AM »
Hi all, we are starting to plan a trip to NZ next year,  and I was wondering if WNW give "factory tours" for want of a better term,  and is it possible to visit TVAL, and are they doing any airshows this coming season?  Regards, Pete in RI

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Starting to plan a trip to NZ
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »
Me, too :)
I will listen to prospective answers from better informed very carefully. But unfortunately I heard that WNW do not invite visitors. And that the TVAL aircraft collection at Hood Aerodrome in Masterton is temporarily not open for public.
However I plan a visit to Omaka in Blenheim.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »
This season's TVAL pilot training weekends are on 12-13 Oct, 23-24 Nov, 14-15 Dec, 25-26 Jan, 22-23 Feb, 28-29 Mar and 25-26 Apr. Although the hangar and flight line are not open to the public there are good viewing spots accessible to the public not far away. Flying starts quite early, typically before 8am and continues through to 5-ish on Saturdays and 3-ish on Sundays, weather permitting. Note it is not an airshow and there will probably not be any routines or displays as such, but still plenty of action to see.

TVAL are not offering hangar tours at present because the hangar is too crammed with aircraft to allow safe access

Let me know if you plan to visit and I will pop over the fence to say hello

Photos from March this year:

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 12:41:13 AM »
    Wow Jamo, that second photo speaks volumes! What a beautiful canvas, six magnificent flying replicas or rebuilds as may be the case all lined up together and in front of such a beautiful background. I envy you and also the Members who plan to visit, Thanks for sharing this with us!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »
    Wow Jamo, that second photo speaks volumes! What a beautiful canvas, six magnificent flying replicas or rebuilds as may be the case all lined up together and in front of such a beautiful background. I envy you and also the Members who plan to visit, Thanks for sharing this with us!
Cheers,
Lance

Indeed! Great photo! Just to bring decent camera with you and get those printed in bigger size
regards
K

Offline Europapete

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:40:01 PM »
Thank you for the dates info Jamo, that helps a lot. I think you have the best job on the planet, getting to play with those toys every day! Regards, Pete in RI

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 02:35:34 AM »
Jamo, what is the flying season? I am also thinking of a visit but there's no point if there's no flying!

Ian

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
Flying season is October through to April each year (see above for dates over 2019/20), which is for pilot currency on the various aircraft types, one weekend every month. There no displays as such, and no public access to the flight line, but there are vantage points fairly close by. The big public event is Wings Over Wairarapa which is held every two years, last one was March this year so next one is in 2021. Hood Aerodrome is in Masterton, about 90 minutes drive from Wellington. There is plenty to see and do in the region around Masterton (called the Wairarapa), particularly wineries, scenic reserves and the wild southern coast (Putangirua Pinnacles, Cape Palliser, Ngawi, seal colonies etc)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:53:58 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
Thank you for the dates info Jamo, that helps a lot. I think you have the best job on the planet, getting to play with those toys every day! Regards, Pete in RI

Hi Pete
Just to clarify, I don't work for TVAL but I am a volunteer editor/contributor for their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thevintageaviator/ and they are kind enough to invite me to their pilot training weekends as a kind of unofficial photographer. I also did the commentary for their airshow display at the last public event, Wings Over Wairarapa. I am just a modeller who is interested in WWI aviation and happens to live in the same city as TVAL and hung around often enough at Hood Aerodrome that I got to know the good folk there.

Happy Modelling
James Fahey