Author Topic: Roden Rolls-Royce armoured car  (Read 2140 times)

Offline FokkerFodder

Roden Rolls-Royce armoured car
« on: August 22, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »
Hi -  needed a bit of a break from the hasagawa camel build so switched to something else. One of my naughty cats also knocked the camel off the top shelf so really need to gird my loins to get back to it.

cheers
Matt

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzsf1oyL1pbpfBdJ8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f9u3XrgUJPhRM6WW6

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Roden Rolls-Royce armoured car
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »
Wow! Serious wow!

Having just built this kit (in much simpler fashion, as the backdrop for a Sopwith Triplane for the recent Group Build), I feel I can and indeed should comment; and I'm full of admiration for the work of proper vignette/diorama makers such as yourself.
No doubt, you've done a beautiful job there. I have to ask, did you do anything with the interior? There's a fair bit that could be done if one had a mind to it, because historical pics are available, but I admit I didn't add anything interesting myself.
I found the elaborate business with the wire wheels quite fun, and loved the results - yours are very fine - but I did think there must be loads of methods model makers might invite us to try. What did you think of Roden's technique, with the provided 'moulds'?

Anyway, cheers for showing us how it should be done. And the kittens!

Mark

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »
Hi Mark  - I saw your RR and triplane in the GB and it all came together very nicely. The RR is a big beast, so I'm assuming it all works well with the 1/32 Triplane? And agree the Tommy War figures are fantastic.... If I do another RR I want to do as you have done in the RNAS grey.

I think the Roden RR is pretty good, although as you know its quite a fiddly kit and I was surprised at the parts count. I agree the wheels look very nice when completed and the system for bending the PE worked well . A similar method is used in the Tommy's War Crossly Tender but I seemed to have mucked up the fit of the PE (and that kit has receded to the 'one day' shelf...)

I did ponder opening up the hood as the engine is not bad, but decided not to as I have a habit of struggling to finish things off. I also didn't really add much on the inside as so little is seen (although it would be neat to try and one could open up the turret like the Australians seem to have done in the M-E).

I did add some details to the dashboard which really cannot be seen and opened up the drivers panel and added a few minor details. I also drilled out the radiator and added some mesh I had lying around in the hope you might be able to see a hint of the engine. (which you can't really).  I  also opened up the plates protecting the radiator as well as they would nearly always have been open in the hot conditions.

Anyhow, overall an enjoyable build but with some challenges along the way and I note that the turret is correct for the 1914 version unlike from what I've heard about the Meng RR - although I would be tempted to try this one as well.
cheers
Matt

Offline jknaus

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »
Gorgeous. I built the Meng kit and was going to do one from the Middle East but instead did the Naval Grey. I think though I should get another now that I see how it looks .
James

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »
Hello again.  As I said, your scene is pretty fab and I enjoyed seeing what can be done. And I didn't realise the Meng kit is already out, I must look that up to see what it's like. Odd that they might have missed the turret difference with the 1914 model.

Thanks for your comments about my scene. The thing is, what was important to me was the theme, bringing together the different RNAS elements. It sort of works, but only really from the front, because of those scale differences. Visually, I guess one gets away with it because an armoured car and a triplane are such different sorts of things. But standing the infantryman right next to the car would have looked odd.

I would get many more Tommy's War figures but for the 54mm scale factor. I quite fancied the QA nurse (so to speak), but she'd be unusually tall I suspect. If I was figuring out the scene from scratch now, I'd definitely use some of those nicely sculpted Copper State figures designed to accompany their Lanchester. Figure painting has come to me quite late. I've found I really enjoy it, like all masochistic exercises I suppose :)  I'll always be looking to add the human element to scenes, and I hope people like Copper State will carry on filling in the gaps, of the range of personnel types one would find next to aircraft and vehicles.

The only trouble is, I'm not getting any younger and some of the detail I want to add in 1:32 (or 1:35) is becoming a little testing for the eyes. Hey ho!  :)

Mark

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 09:14:15 PM »
Very Well Done! It all goes nicely to create the idea. Lovely work on the figures and vehicle!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler