Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Pup - Baby Mine  (Read 9103 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: WNW Sopwith Pup - Baby Mine
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 04:51:09 AM »
Brilliant work, Ken.

I will use your masking method the next time I pull a Sopwith out of the stash. It seems a lot simpler than the 'round the houses' method I conjured up  ;D

Looking forward to seeing more updates.
Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »
I'm with Bob,simple now I've seen it and very quick.Your engine came up a treat Ken.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
Thanks for the comments, everyone.  I do appreciate you taking the time to post them.

The engine picture has over emphasized the colors.  The colors are actually more subdued and realistic.
Masking and painting those small wooden stringers in the cockpit seemed like the way to go.  Trying to brush paint them would be a pain.  I also added some post shadowing under them with some Tamiya weathering 'paste'-like stuff.  I used it to make the blue discoloration on the engine cylinders as well.  They look like women's cosmetics.  The set I have includes blue, red, and black smoke-like color.

I've painted the black brackets on the cockpit framing and will be detailing the interior in the next few days.

Thanks for following along!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 07:58:54 AM »
I thought for a moment that the photo of the engine was of a real one which you were using to demonstrate the effect that you were trying to achieve! I am equally impressed by your making your own instrument bezels... Where do your skills stop? Brilliant.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »
More progress.
I noticed that the moulded throttle quadrant on the left side of the cockpit framing is not on this version, so I fabbed one up.

There's a lot of control cables coming off this part.  Duplicate rudder cables, tail skid steering cables and elevator cables.

Scratched a new IP.  Everything just barely fit.  The watch came out a little off, but I'll live with it.

Seat detail.  I cut the PE seatbelt and flipped over the end so it looks like its folded on itself.

Soon I'll be installing the rest of the cockpit parts.

Thanks for following along.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
Looking good Ken  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 04:05:32 AM »
Thanks, T

I just noticed the airspeed indicator is upside down.  Funny how you don't notice things until its too late.   ::)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 06:11:10 AM »
Your Pup interior looks Fantastic! All is well done as usual. I Never would have Noticed the Airspeed indicator was upside down and don't think anyone else will  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 10:06:46 AM »
Superb modelling Ken, having made a WnW Pup awhile back I can appreciate the little nuances you are working into your build to make it world class. When you  are finished send photos to Wingnuts for their customer models' pages because master modelling like yours deserves the widest audience.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
Thanks, T

I just noticed the airspeed indicator is upside down.  Funny how you don't notice things until its too late.   ::)

Happens to me all the time , just seems more frequent them normal ...

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, Dave.  I just can't build anything OOB anymore.

Offline howlindawg

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »
The instrument panel looks fabulous.

I'm saving my pup until I have the time and skills to do it justice as I particularly like this little plane, but will be bookmarking this build for future reference.

I'm Martin

Offline kensar

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
Putting it together...

I added this crossbar to try to straighten out the control cables, which was only partially successful.

I added the wrapping on the tailskid, as I have seen on other planes. 

Prepping the fuse halves.  I figured one could see back into the fuse with the pilot seat being so low, so I just pencilled in some shadowy structure and bracing detail.  We'll see how successful this is.

I have closed up the fuse now and turning to planning the tail and forward fuse details.

Returning to the machine gun for a moment, I tried to figure out why there was a chute and a hand crank on the IP.  Apparently, with this early gun setup, the ammo in a cloth belt was fed into one side of the gun breech, the cloth belt passed through the gun and the pilot wound up the empty belt using the hand crank.  The empty shells were pushed out of the cloth belt and ejected out the bottom of the gun, hence the chute under the gun breech.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:45:35 AM by p9o1r1sche »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 09:21:02 AM »
Making fair progress on this one Ken , like the idea of penciling in some of the detail .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 05:45:40 PM »
Lovely Ken!

It passes the macro photo test too..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941