Author Topic: AZ Models Pfalz E.I & ICM Pfalz E.IV  (Read 2811 times)

Offline IanB

AZ Models Pfalz E.I & ICM Pfalz E.IV
« on: August 14, 2019, 03:37:30 AM »
Hi folks,
It's been far too long since I last posted here. Partly due to some WWII projects I've had on the go (and still do, a new mould Airfix Heinkel III and the venerable old Fairey Battle, which has been corrected as necessary, ie a lot!), but mainly because last year I relocated from USA to UAE and didn't do much of anything modelling wise.
During the course of that relocation, the Pfalz E.IV I built a few years back got damaged. I decided that the rebuild/renovation would be more interesting if I built the AZ models E.I alongside it, so that's what I did.
If anyone's interested in seeing what was needed, here's the build log.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049619-a-pfair-of-pfalz-eiv-restoration-az-models-ei/

The result was the two models you see below.

They are both 1:72 scale, and both heavily modified from the basic kit. The E.I has scratchbuilt wings and tail surfaces, while the E.IV's are heavily modified kit parts, and both have scratchbuilt undercarriage. Part PE was used for the E.IV guns and the E.I has a MiniWorld gun.

Before the war, Pfalz had obtained a licence to built Morane-Saulniers, and that's what they continued to do after the war broke out. (It is said they made good on every penny they owed M-S after the war!). So all the early Pfalz aircraft were basically Moranes, and that is what they were called by the German pilots who flew them. They were also called "flying death notices", due not just to their black outlined wings and fuselages, but also because they were regarded as "difficult" and the early models suffered quite a few tailplane structural failures, many with fatal consequences. The E.I had an 80hp Oberursel U.0 rotary engine and the various models following that basically had bigger engines and wings, to the E.IV which had a 160hp Oberursel U.III engine. There were a few E.Vs with in line engines but that was basically it as Pfalz had not put any effort into designing their own aircraft and by mid 1916 the old M-S design was well outdated. The company continued on building aircraft under licence from other manufacturers (Roland for example) but they did not build their own aircraft again until the D.III came into service in 1917.

The E.I depicted here served in Vilna (Vilnius, Lithuania). The serial number on the fuselage is correct as per photos, at least on the port side. I'm not sure if the way I have shown it on the right side is correct as I had to move the cross forward slightly. It would make more sense to have the "/15" in front of the cross, but who knows whether it was or not.

The E.IV depicts an aircraft flown by Rudolf Bertholt whilst with Kampfeinsitzer (literally battle single-seater) Kommando, Vaux, based in Vaux, on the Somme, France in April 1916. He suffered serious injuries when the Pfalz reputation caught up with him and he spun it in from 100 metres. He survived that, and quite a few other injuries received during the war, only to be killed in political street fighting in Hamburg in 1920. He was so badly beaten he couldn't be identified physically. I guess that's what you get when the civilians you're shooting at catch you!

Anyway, here they are...

They look quite comfortable next to each other in the cabinet!

I hope you like them!

Ian

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: AZ Models Pfalz E.I & ICM Pfalz E.IV
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:46:06 AM »
Very nice, Ian.  1/72 scale with rigging!  Shiny engine cowls!

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 05:06:31 AM »
Congratulations!
I have the two kits to build, your realizations encourage me to open the boxes!
Great works! What's you using for rigging?
Roberto

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 07:06:50 AM »
    Great to see you back Ian, and you've climbed back on the horse with a vengeance! These are both beautiful models, and as said before doubly so for the small scale. The final shot of part of your collection in the cabinet is very impressive, well built and beautifully displayed. Hope your new position in the UAE worked out well and I assume you are still there playing the expatriate aviator?
    I'm looking forward to more contributions from you now that you are back "on board".
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »
Glad to see you back here Ian where you really belong! I have been following your restoration work on the other site and am aware of the problems that you have had on the way, but the results shown here are well worth the effort that you have made. The rigging is super and the other details equally so - a very fine addition to an equally fine collection.

Looking forward to seeing more of your efforts on this site including the Ilya Mouremets!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »
Nice to see you back Ian  :) Excellent job on both . Your re-build turned out Awesome !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 11:30:20 AM »
Gorgeous models!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »
Beautiful results especially in a small scale Model! Well done and your collection is awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 03:51:10 AM »
Many thanks everyone, your comments are much appreciated!

Lance, yes, sort of. I'm instructing (ground school and simulator) so no flying unfortunately. Having said that, I love it here and the rewards are well worth the move!

Stephen, I know you have a hankering to see the Muromets finished. Des did too, so it will definitely be done. It was started as a tribute to Harry Woodman and will be finished as a tribute to both. I just have to clear the backlog first!

Terri and Rick, Thanks, it's good to be back!

Roberto, I use this for rigging

I run it over a silver permanent marker pen so I can see it before I use it!

The collection is a bit larger than shown, that's just the corner. The better ones are the other side!  ;)

Thanks for looking in,

Ian
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:59:10 AM by IanB »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 06:08:31 AM »
Welcome home, Ian  ;)

A fine brace of Pfalz and no mistake. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 06:18:46 AM »
Congratulations on those two beauties   :D   :D   :D

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
Modeling at its best!

Jörg

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 06:19:48 AM »
A lovely pair of "obituaries". Those thin black lines must be nightmarish to mask.
And a fine group photo. PS. I wish I had so much empty space for new models in my cabinet...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:39 PM »
Thanks Prez!
The rib lines are not marked, they are 0.3mm Hasagawa baking tape, which also turns out to be black. Very useful!

Ian

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 12:15:29 AM »
Very nice work!!

Steve