Author Topic: Amusing Hobby 1/48 Focke-Wulf Triebflugel.  (Read 1523 times)

Offline eclarson

Amusing Hobby 1/48 Focke-Wulf Triebflugel.
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:59:48 AM »
One of my favorite aircraft that never was.  The Focke-Wulf Triebflugel has become a popular subject lately with the two new injection molded kits released nearly simultaneously this year - one in 1/48 from Amusing Hobby and one in 1/35 from Miniart.  As I prefer 1/48 for most of my WWII builds I chose the former and obtained one from China via eBay as soon as they were available.  Upon arrival it went immediately to my work bench where it proved to be a quick and enjoyable build.  My only criticism is the overly thick canopy parts which though crystal clear, would have looked quite clunky if posed open.  I therefore chose to keep the canopy closed which makes viewing the cockpit details all the more difficult.   Being a so-called Luftwaffe '46 "what if" aircraft I enjoyed the freedom of creating a scheme based partially on one of the kit options but different camo colors and additional yellow trim inspired by one seen in David Myhra's fascinating book on the subject, "Dragonfly".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764318772

I made a few updates to the kit including a scratch built pitot tube from hypodermic tubing and replacement of the kit's featureless center wheel with one from a 1/48 Fw190.  The cockpit was embellished with spare Eduard p/e rudder pedals (which are of course totally hidden on the finished model), AirScale instrument dial and panel decals, and Eduard p/e 1/48 Fw 190D seat belts.  The latter were positioned to represent the fact that the seat would be on its back.  :)

Eric

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Amusing Hobby 1/48 Focke-Wulf Triebflugel.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 03:27:33 AM »
    Now there's something different! Interesting subject and your finish is superb Eric. Your notional scheme is really eye catching and the yellow is a perfect touch. Nicely done Sir!! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 05:02:14 AM »
Ultra cool Eric, really like what you did.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
That is one strange aircraft.
What is supposed to keep the fuse from spinning due to the torque of the blades?  Did they not think of that?

Offline eclarson

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »
That is one strange aircraft.
What is supposed to keep the fuse from spinning due to the torque of the blades?  Did they not think of that?

No torque.  The blades were spun using the ramjets at the ends.  While this was a design that never made it off the drawing board (though it is a popular model subject), the concept has been used on actual aircraft including the Hiller Hornet helicopter and the amazing Fairey Rotodyne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_YH-32_Hornet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Rotodyne

Eric

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
Different and very cool !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 10:00:54 PM »
I missed this one until now. Looks terrific and Like Lance said the yellow is a nice touch!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:18:28 AM »
One of the several bridges between aircraft technology and science fiction that have always been very popular among engeneers from the early years to the date: I love all of them. And a really cool model.
Ciao
Giuseppe