Author Topic: Japanees Handsaw project  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Ronkootje

Japanees Handsaw project
« on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Hi guys/girls

I have made myself a set of handsaws to be etched by PPD in 0.2mm stainless steel. The set contains 6 different saws.

5 saws have teeth of 1 mm
Then the same 4 shapes of the saws except for the big one have 0.5mm teeth.

So the total set gets you 11 saws my plan is to make a nice handle for it and also etch 0.9 sheet of stainless to reinforce the top of the saw.

My question to you guys is: would there be any interested in this set?

The price of one set of 11 saws will be 90 euro, that is including the Handel witch I have to make by hand for each set. Bear in mind that these types of saws can also be ordered around 30 euro per saw on the internet.

Let me know what you think so I can gauge if I proceed with the project.

Regards Ron 

Offline Ronkootje

Re: Japanees Handsaw project
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:14:15 AM »
nobody interested? is the price to high? let me know please

Regards Ron

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:45 AM »
I don't have a feeling about the size of your saws.

But for modeling I can buy here a set for 8€. I own some of those saws and they are really great for modeling tasks, very shark and very fine cuts.
http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_112

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:11:48 AM »
Hi Ron

Your saws look fantastic but I fear price may be a problem for some of us especially when you factor in the exchange rate.

For example 90 Euros works out at $146 Australian which makes them an expensive set.

For comparison, I picked up a Chinese -made set of four saws at a model show for $15 Australian. The quality is cheap but they work and include plastic handles.

Rather than offer a set of 11 saws, perhaps sound out the idea of selling a more niche set of one or two saws and handle?

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline krow113

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »
Price too high.
I manufacture a lot of items for sale to the general public and am aware of the cost of production.
Model tool supply is not a huge market to begin with, right in the money belt demographic however , but separating them from their dough is tough.
Good luck!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 10:23:38 AM »
Yup , price way too high . For me that would be around 150 CDN . Already have two RB sets which I pick up through Ultracast for less then 30 bucks including shipping .  And I use a regular xacto handle for them . No need to buy a handle .

You do have useful shapes , which would be handy for many tasks . Having them fit xacto handles would be nice . Really don't like having too have different handles for every tool on the bench .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
Guys thanks for the reply. But the handles are glued on the saws the big saw is 20 cm long putting that on a exato handel wont work, also reinforced at the top with a 0.9 fouled over ridge of 10 mm keeping the saw straight.
Then that assembly is glued in a wooden handle of about 15 cm.

This is not just a fret with a couple saws on it just to be clear. What would you find a reasonable price then?

Regards Ron.

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:53 AM »
So to be clear nobody is interested?

Regards Ron

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »
I think the price is still prohibitive. Although they are going to be well made, like everything else you do, size and durability doesn't out way cost. A lot of "disposable" saws can be purchased for that price.

Steve