Author Topic: Sopwith 'Swallow' 1:32 scale  (Read 22586 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Sopwith 'Swallow' 1:32 scale
« on: July 20, 2019, 06:53:44 AM »
Hi all,
I thought this time around I'd have a crack at building a 1:32 scale model of the Sopwith 'Swallow' monoplane prototype of 1918.

In June 1918, the Sopwith Aviation Company designed an unarmed parasol monoplane, based on the Sopwith ‘Camel’. The aircraft was known the Sopwith Monoplane No.1, but was also known as the Sopwith ‘Scooter’ (to scoot was to move around fast). The aircraft was built for the personal use of the ‘Sopwith’ test pilot Harry Hawker and was based on the their current Sopwith ‘Camel’, but with a single wing mounted just above the fuselage, but with limited space between the fuselage and the underside of the wing. The wing was not supported by the then conventional struts and instead was braced by RAF streamlined bracing wires, all of which were attached to the lower fuselage and a pyramid shaped strut assembly above the wing. The ‘Scooter’ was powered by a single 130 hp (97 kW) ‘Clerget’ 9B rotary engine. The ‘Scooter’ was used as a runabout and aerobatic aircraft by Harry Hawker and was able to demonstrate excellent maneuverability. Eventually it was used as the basis for a fighter design, originally known as the Monoplane No.2, and later named the Sopwith ‘Swallow’.
Like the ‘Scooter’, the ‘Swallow’ used the fuselage of a ‘Camel’, but it had a larger, slightly swept wing of greater wingspan and area. Like the ‘Scooter’ the wing was mounted above the fuselage, but higher, to allow the pilot to access the two synchronized Vickers machine guns, which were fitted further apart than normal, again to give the pilot better forward visibility. For the same reason the ‘hump’ in the forward cockpit decking (hence the name ‘Camel’) was not used. The engine was also changed to that of a 110 hp (82 kW) ‘Le Rhône’ engine. Also the traditional oval shaped access panels on each side of the forward fuselage were omitted. Twelve strengthening ribs were fitted across the centre section on the upper surface of the wing.
The ‘Swallow’ made its maiden flight in October 1918, and was delivered to RAF Martlesham Heath on 28 October 1918 for official testing. One considered role for the ‘Swallow’ was as a shipboard fighter. Engine problems delayed testing of the ‘Swallow’, but even when the engine problems were resolved, the ‘Swallow’ proved to have a lower overall performance than the then ‘Le Rhône’ engine powered ‘Sopwith’ ‘Camel’. Testing of the ‘Swallow’ continued after the cessation of hostilities but by May 1919 all interest in the ‘Swallow’ was dropped. The fate of the ‘Swallow’ is not known, but presumably it was scrapped.
However the original ‘Scooter’ remained in use, and was given the civil registration K-135 and later to G-EACZ. In 1921, Harry Hawker purchased and flew the ‘Scooter’. Harry Hawker died on the 12th July 1921 in a flying accident at Hendon, after which the ‘Scooter’ was put into storage. It was refurbished in 1925 and was used for aerobatic displays and for racing until 1927 when it was scrapped.

Some time back I purchased the only 1:32 scale conversion set available, which is a resin set intended for the Hobby Craft/Academy Sopwith Camel F.1 kit.
However, that model kit left a lot to be desired, as does the resin set.
Therefore I'm going to try converting the 'Wingnut Wings' 'Clerget' Camel kit.
I know it's an expensive kit to convert but as I'd already had to rob the kit for another project, I thought I might as well use it.

It may be just the resin conversion set I received, but it has many problems. The wing halves are warped, the front cockpit decking (according to the instructions) is 7 mm too short in length, the upper support wing struts are not tb used, only as guides for making your own, and there's more flash and surface 'blow holes' the I care to mention.

Anyway it'll be another challenge I guess.

Here's a few shots to start off with,

Mike

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:15:24 AM by sandbagger »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Sopwith 'Swallow' 1:32 scale
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:44:33 AM »
Doesn't look like too difficult a conversion.
This will be interesting.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »
Looks like a very interesting conversion (lots of prep work with that resin), will look like a great addition to your collection.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »
Hi Mike

The Sopwith Swallow is one of those oddball creations that have always appealed to me so I am following your build with much interest. I used to have a limited run Swallow kit in 48th scale but did not make it. The subject in 1/32 scale has a lot of appeal.

That resin set looks terrible! I can see why you are going down the scratchbuilt/ conversion route with this project.

We look forward to seeing your build progress on this beauty and I'm sure the guys at Wingnuts will be fascinated to see what can be achieved with their kits.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »
My example  of this conversion is fortunately much better than yours,just a few pinholes.I think the rear cowling panel is shorter than standard,I just replaced part of the kit one with the resin item after cutting and sanding the remainder to the same profile as the linen covered remaining fuselage.Hot water should straighten that wing OK.You could contact Dave Lockhead,he may have some better wings with less pinholes left.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 09:58:24 PM »
Should be a great looking bird when complete! I am sure you will overcome the challenges with the casting!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Radarman

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 11:57:52 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for taking this one on. I look forward to an entertaining build report.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 01:36:44 AM »
Thanks - yes I think a lot of filling, sanding, scratch building struts etc is coming my way

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline dtomko

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 07:37:26 AM »
Looks like a great project.  I converted an Eduard Camel to a Swallow in 1/48 a few years back.  It's a nice looking design.
Drew

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 03:44:33 AM »
I will follow with great interest, because I like to convert a Eduard 1/48 Camel with the help of the conversion kit by Spin models.
The seat/parts of the cockpit have to be moved backwards compared to the Camel.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 05:20:37 AM »
Hi Frank,
That's a good point that I'd not noticed, although I'm still working on the resin bits.
Here's a rough comparison to illustrate your point.

I've noticed already that there are no oval access panels in the sides of the forward fuselage.
The twin Vickers machine guns are also fitted wider apart than normal, to allow better forward vision for the pilot.
I have the 1998 Windsock International Vol. 14, No.4 July/August issue, which has the most information I've been able to find so far.
Drop me a line if there's any data I can help you with,

Mike

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 05:56:12 AM »
Your new resin cockpit decking will force you to move the seat backwards ;)
The scooter has a smaller distance between wing and fuselage (no weapons), the Swallow needs this space for the Vickers.
With the backwards moved seat the pilot has better view with the deeper top wing, and there is more space inside the fuselage to put the Vickers deeper, so there is no need for the Camel humps. 
And yes, this Windsock International Vol. 14, No.4 is also my source of inspiration.
My Spin conversion set do not contain decals, which is another problem.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 07:33:54 PM »
Hi Frank,
Yes there's a lot of good information in the Windsock file.
As for the decals - I've contacted 'Decision Height Decals' here in the UK and passed on all of the information for the Swallow's decals.
Hopefully he can create them for me in 1:32 scale.
Maybe you could email him also to see if the same set can be made in the scale you need.
I'll PM you with the email address,

Mike

Offline dtomko

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »
Frank, I got my 1/48 set from the old Copper State Models.  You might email them to see if they have any old stock.
Drew

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:08 PM »
Hi Drew,
Have you posted your swallow build - I'd be interested to see it,

Mike