Author Topic: Drill bits sizes  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Vicious

Drill bits sizes
« on: July 14, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
Hi all,

I wanted to place an order of drill bits from drillbitsunlimited.com but I don't know what sizes would be better to have at hand, which ones do you use for your work in 1/32? .... I'm a little undecided because I've never done biplanes before , in addition I am used to the metric system and to read "gauges" etc ... it confuses me a lot

I saw that they have sets of 100 bits, or you can make your own "custom" set, what do you usually do? ... do you prefer ready-made sets? ... if so, which one?

Thanks a lot

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Drill bits sizes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
I use #80 for almost all of my rigging holes.  For situations where there isn't enough plastic to accommodate a size 80 hole, such as on WNW struts where the anchor points are molded in, I will use #83.  My custom set includes #70 to #83.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline BillB

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »
Drill sizes are a bit illogical, it seems.  The usual 'set to have' is the number drills, from 1 to 80.  Some of the drill diameters are only 1 or two thousandths of an inch apart from one number to the next, while others are 5 or more thou apart.  The next most common set is fractional inches, and there is also a letter set, from A to Z, which supplies some sizes that are in between the sizes in the other sets.  There are also 'spade drills' which can be a savior, since you can make them yourself. A spade drill is simply a piece of drill rod with one end hammered flat and filed so that it will cut.  For drilling plastics, that's all you need to do. However a useful skill in making drills is 'case hardening' - you use a piece of mild steel ('cold rolled') rod or wire to make the spade drill bit, then cook the tip, red hot, in case hardening compound (or most any form of carbon) for a few minutes and quench it.  This leaves a glass-hard surface and there is no need to temper it like all tool steel drills ('temper' is 'soften') so they last a goodish while.
So the short answer has been given in a previous reply, but if you're working with plastics in small scales you can get away with a lot when making your own.
Google 'spade drill' and 'case hardening compound for more info.
Lots of possibilities for the adventurous, in any scale up to 12 inches to the foot (and beyond).
- Bill

Offline Vicious

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »
Thanks ... I think I have to find and print a conversion table because between inches and gauges my metric-decimal brain goes in black-out!!... ???

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »
   Try this table from the supplier who supports our Forum with special deals:

https://drillbitsunlimited.com/50-SIZES-One-Piece-Each-From-0059-to-065-Carbide-Drill-Set-LG1-P5637370.aspx

I use a variety from #83's up to #60. I have found most of my work uses #80's to # 70's, and tend to buy those in batches of 50 since I am clumsy by nature and tend to break a lot of bits.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Vicious

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »
Thanks!....i was thinking to find a proper conversion table to hung near my desk that way is always there,i goin to prepare a order of  set of 100 piece and then see how clumsy i am... :o...from 1.5mm up,i hve some chinese tugsten drill bits but they re ok for plastic for the rest my finger nails are sharper... :-\

for the order i have to mention the forum?

Thanks again!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 10:53:41 PM »
Vicious,
   I believe this link is still valid, Drill Bits Unlimited is still a member Vendor on our "Hobby Shop" Board here.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3303.15

I too have an index hanging at my desk, very handy to have! I wish I could find where on the internet I got it however if you Google "Drill Bit Index" and do a little searching there are many versions available. Let us know how you make out with your purchase.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Vicious

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 08:10:44 AM »
in the end I took a set, this one, from drillbitsunlimited.com https://drillbitsunlimited.com/100-Piece-Micro-Carbide-Variety-DRILL-Bit-Set-A1-LU-P5375682.aspx just to try, the bits are really high quality, the box that contains the bits is fantastic, the price is as good as the rest of the service, even very fast shipping, especially to get from the USA which for some reason are usually quite slow, also because looking at the tracking often before leaving the  country the parcels take a  tourist tour east coast-West -coast over and Midwest...i kind of tennis table but with my parcel.

Anyway thanks for the advice on drillbitsunlimited.com I am very happy with the purchase and I can only recommend it to everyone

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 11:12:51 AM »
    I'm glad that worked out well for you; we should support the suppliers who support us at the Forum as much as possible. I personally have always received great service and products from this company. :)
Cheers,
Lance