Author Topic: Richthofen Albatros Jasta 11, "red hood, tail and wings"  (Read 1190 times)

Offline tim garrison

Richthofen Albatros Jasta 11, "red hood, tail and wings"
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:52:50 AM »
I'm painting this WNW kit and would like to air a theory with the forum. It's clear from the reference photo that the factory painted white border on the fuselage cross has been painted over. WNW freely admits that nobody knows what color was applied in the field, but recommends light gray or gray-green. That seems arbitrary to me and would suggest that if the purpose was to obscure or remove the border the more likely color would have been something closer to the varnished wood tone of the fuselage. Maybe matt yellow or tan? Any thoughts. And has anybody heard any theories on why objected to the border? I understand this isn't the only instance of them being painted over.

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Richthofen Albatros Jasta 11, "red hood, tail and wings"
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
Tim, your theory does make a lot of sense. While painting it Gray-green would dull it down it would still be visible, so why? One could make the assumption that the Jastas would have been supplied with the Albatros factory gray-green paint for repairs and therefore had that to hand but then again the Germans seem to have no trouble obtaining or mixing any colour on the spectrum for their planes so if the object was to make the cross less 'contrasty' it would make more sense to try to match the plywood colour as close as possible and the difference in the photo is the matt paint vs the gloss varnished ply.
Perhaps you're on to something as when you look at MvR's various Albatros DVs he does seem to favor over-painting the fuselage and tail crosses and obliterating the white borders on the upper wing crosses, black on red (especially the shade of red MvR's planes were painted) would be very low contrast, therefore visibility especially from a distance would be very difficult. Maybe he preferred relying on the colour and the notoriety derived from that to avoid any friendly fire incidents, I guess his order to the rest of Jasta 11 that his plane was to be the only one painted overall red thus makes more sense.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »
I am a little late to this, but find it an interesting question.

I too am studying the WNW MVR Albatros D.V kit right now in anticipation of an upcoming build.

I think it's quite possible those fuselage cross borders have been overpainted in something that matches the look of the varnished plywood fuselage, so as to make the borders go away.  Why that would be done, I don't know.  Could they have been overpainted in a tinted varnish or wood stain type of product to try and match the fuselage more closely?! 

I have also been studying the all red D.V in the WNW kit, and I notice they suggest completely eliminating the fuselage crosses from the aircraft.  *Yet* they are clearly visible in the photograph, albeit heavily overpainted.  They are still there though and you can faintly see them.

I also find it strange that WNW seems to think the wing crosses on the all red aircraft are clearly not overpainted, but the wing cross white borders are.  Again, evidence of Jasta 11 or MVR playing around with overpainting cross borders!  Why?

These old B/W photos are so poor, I do think there is some leeway here to make these planes as the builder sees fit, within some reason of course.

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »
Perfect timing on this discussion. I too am starting this kit and am going with the red wings, tail and hood and varnished wood fuselage. To me looking at the photos the fuselage may have had the crosses sanded off and the black cross repainted. Maybe what we are seeing is a dull area on a more glossy background. As for the wing crosses I will use the photos as a guide

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:12:26 AM »
I'm also building the all red Albatros.  Even in the photo taken at the Zeppelin base, you can (barely) make out the fuselage cross.  I would tend to think that it is just overpainted with a fairly thin red.  I can't see any cross at all on the tail, but the rudder is turned in such a way that it's difficult to tell, although I can't see any cross on the fin.  Isn't this what makes WWI modeling such fun?