Author Topic: Western Canadian Regional Model Contest  (Read 7083 times)

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Western Canadian Regional Model Contest
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:16:56 AM »
Hi all, a bit of a preamble, then I promise I'll get to some shots of the models!

It seems a bit of a reintroduction is required. Some of you may recall I joined this friendly place right in the initial days. In fact, I think I have a membership number somewhere in the low double digits. I contributed over the years long enough to ring up a few hundred posts. And then life (read: kids and work) gets involved, and suddenly the time available for modelling in general, and posting in particular unfortunately falls by the wayside. You know how it goes. All this is to say that is that for those that I haven't met or who don't remember me, "Hi! I'm back!"

What I did have time for over the years is the cultivation of friendships made through this very forum. In the early days I got mixed up with a certain ex-fighter jock who now fancies himself as a forum moderator. Through Lance, I got introduced to Chris (CJohnson), Gary (Trackpad), and the American ex-officio Canuck of our group, Mark (MGunns). We would continue to hang out virtually until we met at the CapCon model show in 2015 in Ottawa, Canada. It was so much fun hanging out in person, sharing stories over a few too many beers, that we did it again in 2017.

Those keen eyed pattern recognition experts out there would notice that it's now 2019. CapCon is going ahead again, but this year due to logistics and circumstance, the meeting venue became the Western Canadian Regional Model Contest in beautiful Nanton, Alberta, Canada, a quick 3,500 km drive west. Unfortunately this year Chris and Gary couldn't make it, but Mark made the effort to come up from south of the border, and we were joined by another forum member also named Gary (gedmundson).

From left to right that's Mark, Me, Gary, and Lance.

The show took place at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada. It's one of those hidden gems that has a small dedicated staff, a collection of interesting aircraft, and oh yeah, a Lancaster with four running Merlins. A definite highlight of the day were the two live engine runs of the Lanc's Merlins, followed by the running of the Bristol Hercules. There must have been some lingering smoke in the air as my eyes got a little misty for some reason.

There were also models at this...model show. Over 500 entries made for a lot of interesting viewing. Our little genre was well represented, with entries numbering in the teens. Lance, Gary, and I all entered a few of our examples. Let's be honest here, folks, my models weren't fit to carry Lance and Gary's model's sprue clippers, but they were kind enough to let me park nearby.

Gary's Entries

Lance's Camel

A look down the table

Lance and Mark engaged in erudite and eloquent conversation

Afternoon came and so did the judge's decisions. Lance walked away with a very deserved Gold and Silver for his Albatros DVa and LVG, respectively. The judges temporarily took leave of their senses and awarded my dH2 a Bronze. Gary's Fokker F.1 Triplane was awarded the Best Single Engine Fighter of the show. Gary then followed those up with a Gold and Silver for his Mk. IV and Mk. I tanks, along with another special award for the Best Main Battle Tank Pre-1959 for the Mk. IV "Deborah".

Lance's Albatros

Lance's LVG

My dH2

Gary's F.1

Gary's "Deborah"

We then retired back to the hotel for another night of debrief and fellowship over a couple more pitchers of beer. I marvel to think that through this forum I've made some lasting friendships and have been able to meet some interesting people in person. The incredible models are just a nice side benefit of being able to hang out with such a great group of guys.

If you got this far, thanks for reading.

LT

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Western Canadian Regional Model Contest
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 12:14:13 AM »
Lindsay,
     Thanks for publishing this, next time I'll get my "camera act" together! Great photos and a nice memento of what was a truly a great weekend for all. Models, military history, good friends and of course cold beer ............ doesn't get much better! :) :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 12:36:40 AM »
Thank you for posting these beautiful models.  Congratulations to Lance, Gary and you Lindsay for your richly deserved awards.

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:05:31 AM »
Oh yeah, also from my side congratulations for the awards!
And to have a cold beer with good friends - that is always a nice moment.

Thank you very much for this report!
Cheers,
Frank

Offline Europapete

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:23:34 AM »
Nice report, thank you. Good to put faces to names also. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:28:52 AM »
Lyndsay - great summary of our weekend! We so thoroughly enjoyed our time with you guys. Looking forward to next time :-)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 04:19:07 AM »
Looks a wonderful weekend. Congratulations on your awards.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline aliluke

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 04:40:24 PM »
Congratulations on the medals Lance and Gary. It is interesting to put faces to the names here - you look like a happy bunch of good guys.

Cheers
Alistair

P.S. My new avatar is not me! Not my face - no way! It is my great grandfather on my mum's side.
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 05:00:18 PM »
Wonderful posting, thank you Lindsay! Great to learn, you had such a good time - to say nothing of those beautiful models and the well-earned awards! Isn't this a great forum? So here's a huge „thank-you“ up to Des, too!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
Lovely!

Well done chaps  :D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
Great post Lindsay,thanks for putting it up.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 07:25:38 AM »

Dittos, Thanks for posting

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 03:43:42 AM »

Dittos, Thanks for posting

Ed

Of course I agree with Ed. From the looks of things I would have been just as amazed at the quality of the work as I was at the US Nats has I been there in person!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Gene K

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »
What  a treat!

Gene K

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 11:57:18 PM »
Well done guys - very well deserved winners,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.