Author Topic: More info needed on Dr.1 photo please  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Tombguard

More info needed on Dr.1 photo please
« on: June 24, 2019, 01:33:24 AM »
Hello and am new here and first post, please bear with my lack of knowledge asI come from the WWII & jet age!
There is a photo in plane encyclopedia of a replica Dr.I with black and white stipeing. I have googled, searched up&down,over,under,top,bottom,thru and backwards and can find no other info or photos of this bird...can anyone help me out?..
and yes, I am in the beginning stages of building this revell 1/28th bird
Thanks again (image too large to attach)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:52:47 AM by Tombguard »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: More info needed on Dr.1 photo please
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:36:08 AM »
Sounds like you might be talking about Hans Kisrchstein's "Optical Illusion" later taken over by Ernst Udet...

if so, Google "Hans Kirschstein," you'll find a million images of it. This is one of the better renditions:

Udet added the legend "LO" as a tribute to his squeeze:

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 04:58:15 AM »
Like Bo said google Kirschstein or even Jasta 6. Both pull up images of this tripe. Several Osprey and Windsock publications also have much more info.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Tombguard

Re: More info needed on Dr.1 photo please ( Update)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
This is the Optical Illusion just finished, and the one I'm looking for..
(hope it works)

Offline Tombguard

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:29 AM »
ok, lets try this

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 03:45:18 AM »
Nice DR1. As for the Triplane in the Squadron Centerfold I am afraid you won't find any further info. I am pretty sure it was the illustrators GUESS at what Kirschsteins DR1 looked like. Nice scheme but pretty much fictitious  8)
RAGIII

Offline Tombguard

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »
this is the one I'm trying to get info on.. Thanks to all

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
Clearly a modern replica (C-47 in background -- all known original surivior DR.Is were destroyed during WWII )

Appears to be a fictitious / apocryphal scheme loosely based on Kirschstein's. Iron cross on tailplane was seen frequently on Jasta Boelcke Dr.Is and also Jasta 36.

IF you are interested in authentic, evidence-based schemes (no judgement here -- you can paint your model in any way you please!) I recommend the book Fokker DR.I Jagdstaffeln by Greg VanWyngarden. That and Alex Imries' The Fokker Dr.I are practically all you need on your shelf on the topic. Remember that the Fokker Dr.I had a fairly short shelf life and was only issued to a relative handful of Jadgstaffeln -- being essentially fatally flawed -- first with the wing debacle, then with the the more mundane factors of it being slow and equipped with a notoriously unreliable motor -- not to mention the less spectacular but unarguably more effective Fokker D.VII waiting in the wings --  leading to only 320 or so being built. Point being the gamut of known authentic schemes is about as well known as any WWI fighter & many (but certainly not all!) of the airframes have been catalogued...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:35:03 PM by Flugzeugwerke »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 12:44:21 AM »
this is the one I'm trying to get info on.. Thanks to all

I stand corrected  ::) It is a striking scheme and would look great as a Model! I wonder if Squadron took their profile from the replica or the reverse! Like Bo said you can do any scheme you like, it is your model. I also agree about the books he recommended!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:39:59 AM by RAGIII »

Offline sobrien

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 07:01:48 AM »
The Dr1 pictured above was built by Jim Bruton. If you google his name with Fokker you'll get more views of his plane.

Offline Tombguard

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »
Thank you Sobrien and all who responded. I will google Jim Bruton.The response has been very helpful and I'm getting to like this arena!(as long as minimal rigging!) :)

Offline Tombguard

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 05:19:46 AM »
sobrien,  googled with the name..JACKPOT !!!!! now I can start this puppy..stay tuned !