Author Topic: My Ersatz Blue Max Pfalz D.III  (Read 5128 times)

Offline GazzaS

My Ersatz Blue Max Pfalz D.III
« on: May 27, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
Hi Friends,
    It's been a while since I posted anything here, and in that period I've only worked on one WWI aircraft.  A month ago I started to get the WWI itch again, and decided I would build a Pfalz D.IIIa by WNW.   

I have a problem regarding models lately.  Mainly that I don't want my kit to look like every other kit you see posted on the web.  And with the accuracy of the WNW kit, there's not much else for me to do to make it look just like one built by everybody else.

I looked about for Pfalz schemes, but none really spoke to me except for that excellent piece of film, The Blue Max starring George Peppard and one of my favorite actors James Mason.

But I didn't want to spend any more money buying somebody's Blue Max Lozenge.  And I'd heard that there was "something off" about the WNW lozenge which I have tons of from my Green Tails Trilogy.  So, I wanted to see for myself.

As I had cut myself free from all of the constraints of historical accuracy and even wasn't conforming completely to the movie I was able to tear through this build in a few weeks, having a blast of a time.

Here is the result:  (some of you may have seen this on Farcebook)

Thank you for looking!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: My Ersatz Blue Max Pfalz D.III
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:33:03 PM »
Very nicely done Gaz, congratulations she is a beauty.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »
Outstanding build Gaz! Your work on getting the lozenge to conform around all of those curves is astonishing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 11:58:10 PM »
Beautiful model, Gaz. The Blue Max is my favourite film.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 12:33:01 AM »
Gaz,
   A very unique subject very dear to my heart as well; I have "The Blue Max" on disk and sit down at least once a year to re-watch this classic, great stuff! Your decal work is beautifully done and the model is very impressive. As for the enjoyment the Build gave you your avoidance of the constraints imposed by historical accuracy and the movie version no doubt contributed to your enjoyment of the experience, a lesson I for one should pursue on occasion!
   Great model and great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 03:27:26 AM »
Gazz,
 What a cracking build!
To say I love it is an understatement  :-*

PfalzTastic!!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »
Outstanding build Gaz! Your work on getting the lozenge to conform around all of those curves is astonishing!
RAGIII
Thank you Rick!  I was pretty surprised how well the decals conformed myself.  But I did use both hairdryer and decal softener.

Beautiful model, Gaz. The Blue Max is my favourite film.
Cheers,
Gary
Thank you Gary!  I reckon it's one of the best aviation combat movies ever.

Gaz,
   A very unique subject very dear to my heart as well; I have "The Blue Max" on disk and sit down at least once a year to re-watch this classic, great stuff! Your decal work is beautifully done and the model is very impressive. As for the enjoyment the Build gave you your avoidance of the constraints imposed by historical accuracy and the movie version no doubt contributed to your enjoyment of the experience, a lesson I for one should pursue on occasion!
   Great model and great work!
Cheers,
Lance
Thank you, Lance!

Gazz,
 What a cracking build!
To say I love it is an understatement  :-*

PfalzTastic!!

vB
Thanks Bob!

Very nicely done Gaz, congratulations she is a beauty.

Thank you, Juan!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:08:32 AM »
She's truly stunning, Gaz!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »
Thank you, Bud!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 08:42:08 PM »
Fantastic model Gaz and I love your Blue Max tribute. It's my favourite aviation movie and accuracy aside, there's just something so appealing about Pfalz D.III's in lozenge. I have the special edition Blue Max kit based on the Roden Pfalz with the movie lozenge decal.

I've always felt there's a whole sub genre of WW1 subjects potentially available as models depicting aircraft in the movies. The Blue Max would be a rich source of such builds.

Your Pfalz is a real treat mate!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Edo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
looking at the first picture I thougt it was a replica!
wery beautiful model, and great setting and background!
cuia
edo

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »
Great model, Gaz! That's my way of modeling....leave most of the historical correctness behind and just have fun with a nice idea and see what happens.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 03:56:48 PM »
Great model, Gaz! That's my way of modeling....leave most of the historical correctness behind and just have fun with a nice idea and see what happens.
Bye,
Manni
Thank you, Manni!  I think I like your way of modelling more and more!

Fantastic model Gaz and I love your Blue Max tribute. It's my favourite aviation movie and accuracy aside, there's just something so appealing about Pfalz D.III's in lozenge. I have the special edition Blue Max kit based on the Roden Pfalz with the movie lozenge decal.

I've always felt there's a whole sub genre of WW1 subjects potentially available as models depicting aircraft in the movies. The Blue Max would be a rich source of such builds.

Your Pfalz is a real treat mate!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Thank you Dave!  Make me wonder how many WWI aviation movies are out there that I have never seen.

looking at the first picture I thougt it was a replica!
wery beautiful model, and great setting and background!
cuia
edo
Thank you, Edo!  I think I may put backgrounds behind more of my models.  They seem to look better.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
Gaz, if you are looking for some WW1 aviation movies for model inspiration, the best of them were made in the 1920s and 30s and for flying, perhaps the best of all was Hell's Angels. Real WW1 aircraft featured and this pic below is a great inspiration for a model or two!

Or, staying with the Blue Max, what about one of these as your followup to the Pfalz?

(Photo: 20th Century Fox)

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »

I'm with Dave here! How about the 1/32 Matchbox Tiger Moth as a Pfalz and SE.5a stand-in?  Like the Hispano 1112 Buchon in the "Battle of Britain" the Tiger Moth fought on both sides!