Author Topic: ICM's American Field Service Ambulance in 1/35  (Read 6742 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
ICM's American Field Service Ambulance in 1/35
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
Finished this diorama last few days; the kit is fun to build.  No flash and parts fit perfectly.  Only additions to the kit is ICM left out the front decal for the Red Cross so added that from spares and the driver is from Resicast.  The destroyed German 77mm is a Shapeways model designed by a friend in Illinois. Base is dried leaves ground up in Mrs. D's coffee grinder (don't tell) and the mud is paper mâché mixed with acrylic paints.  After drying added a layer of a product called 'Realistic Water'. 

I'm down to one eye due to a detached retina so its taken a while to get back into modeling.  Depth perception is off so its slowed me down a little.  Plus writing a second book for my railroad historical society as a fund raiser.

Hope you enjoy it.

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline RAGIII

Re: ICM's American Field Service Ambulance in 1/35
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:23:17 AM »
That is an awesome build! Terrific work on the vehicle and gun and the base really sets things off! Love it!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 06:22:03 AM »
What a great build, truely amazing! Does your friend sell the 7,7 guns via Shapeways? I‘d really like to get some of them...
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:47:43 AM »
What a great build, truely amazing! Does your friend sell the 7,7 guns via Shapeways? I‘d really like to get some of them...
Andreas
Andreas
Yes he’ll sell the 77mm cannon and has also done the limber.  They are in 1/32 but I didn’t think the scale difference mattered for my purpose. He’s since found a better 3D source than Shapeways so there’s not the lines in the surface. His email is
jmueller (at) HTC (dot) net.  He’s not a manufacturer just an above the average modeler.  He’s also done a WWI German steam locomotive a German diesel locomotive. Flatcars for German float planes and the large cranes as used at Zeebrugge

Charlie

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 09:09:01 PM »
Thank you very much Charlie.
I will write him an Email.
Best regards
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 11:37:05 PM »
Jack is doing some other German artillery pieces I just don’t remember which ones. He’s using drawings from a German archives and I believe scaled drawings the French made after the Great War. 

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 11:46:59 PM »
Jack is doing some other German artillery pieces I just don’t remember which ones. He’s using drawings from a German archives and I believe scaled drawings the French made after the Great War.

I wrote him an email and I am keen on hearing from him. If he’s doing any more artillery piece, I‘ll have them printed as well. His 77mm field gun on your diorama looks amazing (and far superior to the 1/35 scale Emhar kit which is the only existing kit of that important gun.). What color by the way did you use for the 1917 Ford-T ambulance? Looks fantastic in my eyes.
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:19:05 AM »
I used Tamiya XF-18 lighten a little with their white. The canvas is Vallejo Stone and their flat white the Vallejo paints brush very well.  To keep the white on the tires from going onto the blue parts of the wheels I put a sewing needle in a pin vice and deepen the grove so the white has a natural stopping point (if that’s makes sense).  The ICM decals are very thin and want to settle down quickly so use lots of water.  Also the decal for American Field Service needs to be cut between the words as it’s too long as is and the large Red Cross white field is slightly too large and should be cut down to fit between the vertical carbody supports.

Charlie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:08:50 AM »
Hmmm...
Chocolate pudding road

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »
Charlie,

This looks FANTASTIC !!   You did an amazing job.

Paul

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 12:29:34 AM »
I missed this. What a great build and display!!

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 01:18:49 AM »
Beautiful work Charlie!  Does your friend manufacture these artillery pieces in scales other than 1/32nd?  I ask because some folks will print an item in other scales by adjusting the parameters.

WD

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 07:05:45 PM »
Great work!  I have a simple question... how to you get your base coat to stick to the "rubber" tyres?

Offline macsporran

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 08:00:22 PM »
Hey Charlie, long time no hear. (..and no see! - must be 20 years since you visited us here in Crieff.)

Lovely model, great groundwork - especially from a monocular modeler. Hope the eye gets back to full vision.
All the best
Sandy