Author Topic: Engine inspection panels on Albatros D.Va  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Loki

Engine inspection panels on Albatros D.Va
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
Hiya,

I had a couple of questions regarding the inspection panels on the Alby D.Va that I thought you might be able to answer.
I am wanting to super detail the D.IIIa engine on my D.Va and want to leave the inspection panels open to show the detail underneath.

There is a hinge on each panel that I will alter to replicate in the open position. The question is, are they flat on the inside of the panel or do they have a thicker centre section where it fits into the open hole?
What colour is the inside of the panel?

Thank you in advance,

Martin

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Engine inspection panels on Albatros D.Va
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
not sure about the inside details on the door itself, you may check with jamo he has access to the tval build. either his flicker site or the tval site. i would assume that since all metal parts are painted the german interior grey/green that thats the color they would be.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
The Vintage Aviator's Albatros reproductions are very authentic, so may serve as a reference. The panels have a folded-over edge and are painted inside and out in the Albatros grey/green colour.

The inside is just visible in this shot:

Hope this helps

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Loki

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
Super, thank you very much indeed to both of you.

The pictures are particularly useful.

The grey / green shown on this TVAL specimen is quite specific. Does this come from a pain chip sample or is this a best guess paint colour?

I had thought that RLM02 was the agreed colour for WW1 interiors. Please forgive my foray into this but I have just changed my modelling genre into WW1 from modern and my experience is limited.

Thank you again.

Martin

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:43:23 AM »
Nothing I have read suggests the colour actually was RLM02 in WWI (I think the RLM designations came some years later) but the colour is regarded as being very similar and is a good paint match for modellers
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
No Loki, a friend of mine on the WWI Modeling List years and years ago made the suggestion that RLM02 as a similar color, and in the years since it has been picked up by many, many people as some kind of gospel, and has grown into a monster. (He has gone on record time and again to clear this up, but to no avail.)

Is it similar? Yes. Is it dead on. No. Should you use it? Up to you.

Warren

Offline Loki

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
Great answers thank you for your help gents. I guess I'll use Gunze RLM02 if it's almost there. I guess it's open to conjecture whatever the decision.

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:26:35 PM »
Great answers thank you for your help gents. I guess I'll use Gunze RLM02 if it's almost there. I guess it's open to conjecture whatever the decision.

Exactly!  It's so hard to be very dogmatic about a lot of this, isn't it?  Makes it more fun for me when the color police have little jurisdiction.  8)

Warren