Author Topic: Albatros DV lower fuselage nose panel question.  (Read 2870 times)

Online RAGIII

Albatros DV lower fuselage nose panel question.
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:50:56 AM »
I have decided My next project will be an Albatros DV of Jasta 10 thanks to Larry providing the Decals needed! My question is regarding the underside nose panels. The serial number for the albatross in question is 1187 and has the head rest fitted. I know that early Albatros DV's had the lower nose panels running fore to aft vs across the fuselage. would this one have the early or later and ongoing panel lines?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

Re: Albatros DV lower fuselage nose panel question.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 09:18:42 AM »
Early.

Thanks for the quick reply Justin. I couldn't remember the cut off point  ::)
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »
Thanks again Justin. Valuable info!
RAGIII

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »
hi!

Im going to build the 1177/17 form WnW Von Richtofen kit.

From previous posts it looks like it has the early style nose panels.
Any more info on this? I haven't ever noticed it.
I have to trough my Windosck pubblications, surely there's something there, but anything in the forum?

Thanks

Andrew

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:11:20 PM »
hi!

Im going to build the 1177/17 form WnW Von Richtofen kit.

From previous posts it looks like it has the early style nose panels.
Any more info on this? I haven't ever noticed it.
I have to trough my Windosck pubblications, surely there's something there, but anything in the forum?

Thanks

Andrew

I have the windsock special on Albatros D1-DV/Va and there is no info. Perhaps in the Building the DV Special. 1177/17 would certainly have the early panels. I think Servus Bertl had info as he did a beautiful model of Hans Adams 1148/17. Let me know if you find drawings!
RAGIII

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
Thanks!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 11:09:43 PM »
I have received some info on the panels from Bo. Seven planks  so combined with the photo I think I can estimate where to locate them. He has also mentioned that the Oil Pump access hatch needs to be moved so now I must puzzle through that one!
RAGIII

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 11:26:28 PM »
I have received some info on the panels from Bo. Seven planks  so combined with the photo I think I can estimate where to locate them. He has also mentioned that the Oil Pump access hatch needs to be moved so now I must puzzle through that one!
RAGIII

Oh!  nice info!   :D

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 03:24:27 AM »
RAGIII

Oh!  nice info!   :D
I am going to assume that by moving the panel lines I drew in on my build log a tad upwards that the other Plank is going to be straddling the center line. Bo has answered my question about the access hatches so I just need to study his answer and then I will report back  8)
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 11:21:05 AM »
Final note on this one. Seven planks and the Hatch in question for an early Mercedes DIII powered DV is Molded in the correct position as is!
RAGIII

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
I am going to assume that by moving the panel lines I drew in on my build log a tad upwards that the other Plank is going to be straddling the center line.

correct ... they all appear to be about equal width, with a panel on the center line and three flanking.

Another detail difference on the very early Albatros D.Vs -- characterized by the big headrest and the longitudinal fore-aft under nose planking-- is former #5 describes a complete oval (not cut off at the top, like later versions) with holes on either side for the MGs. not sure if it applies to 1187, but my guess is it would.

I'll be modeling all of this stuff -- fore-aft planking, early "big" headrest, alternate former #5 -- for Aircraft in Pixels, so stay tuned for pix. Info based on factory photos kindly supplied by Jim Miller.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:23:28 PM by Flugzeugwerke »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 10:47:56 PM »
I am going to assume that by moving the panel lines I drew in on my build log a tad upwards that the other Plank is going to be straddling the center line.

correct ... they all appear to be about equal width, with a panel on the center line and three flanking.

Another detail difference on the very early Albatros D.Vs -- characterized by the big headrest and the longitudinal fore-aft under nose planking-- is former #5 describes a complete oval (not cut off at the top, like later versions) with holes on either side for the MGs. not sure if it applies to 1187, but my guess is it would.

I'll be modeling all of this stuff -- fore-aft planking, early "big" headrest, alternate former #5 -- for Aircraft in Pixels, so stay tuned for pix. Info based on factory photos kindly supplied by Jim Miller.

Thanks again Bo! Looking forward to the drawings!
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 03:05:51 AM »
Thanks for posting those links Andrew. I certainly have a bit of adjustment to do on my rough locations drawn on ,my fuselage  ::)
RAGIII