Author Topic: Winged Sabres  (Read 2398 times)

Offline James

Winged Sabres
« on: May 08, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »
Just finished reading Winged Sabres: One of the RFC's Most Decorated Squadrons by Robert A. Sellwood about 20 Squadron.

They went to France  in February 1916 flying the FE.2b then the 2d until September 1917 and were successful with it even when it became obsolete. Coñverted to the Bristol F.2b Fighter September 1917 until the end of the War. Once they figured out that they could fly it like a fighter, look out. They took advantage of everything it could do. McCudden sas briefly in 20 Squadron. Meticulously researched and well written, and probably like many others was surprised to learn that 20 Squadron was the HIGHEST scoring RFC/RAF Squadron in the War, but since it WASN'T a fighter squadron, it doesn't get all the glory of the fighter pilot and/or fighter squadron.

Never have written a review before, but I highly recommend this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Winged-Sabres-Decorated-Squadrons-National/dp/1526729571/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Winged+Sabres&qid=1557263046&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Winged Sabres
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
Thanks, interesting! That record of 20 Sqn's is quite something; and maybe another bit of evidence that the F.2b really was the war's best plane

Mark

Offline James

Winged Sabres
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:20:03 AM »
Thanks, interesting! That record of 20 Sqn's is quite something; and maybe another bit of evidence that the F.2b really was the war's best plane

Mark

You might be right, though I believe the author thought the Fokker D.VII was. I any case, the Bristol F.2b was something else. I didn't know that much about it, and now I really appreciate just how good an airplane it was. Makes wish I had picked up the Wingnut F.2b. I also was blown away, so to speak, on just how good, and put to good use by 20 Squadron, the Fe.2b/d was even when it became obsolete against the next generation German fighters like the Halberstadt, and then the Albatros. They held their own and even one of the German commanders pretty much said they kinda feared the Fe.2b/d's in that it wasn't going to be an easy fight. I really, really enjoyed this book. Learned a lot from reading it.   

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 03:27:40 AM »
Thanks very much for the heads up, James....I absolutely will get that book posthaste...sounds fascinating.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline James

Winged Sabres
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 08:05:07 AM »
Thanks very much for the heads up, James....I absolutely will get that book posthaste...sounds fascinating.

You're very welcone Doug. It is one of the best books I have ever read, in my top 3-5 books. I really, really enjoyed it. One doesn't read much on two-seater units in the First World War.

James

Offline JimF

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
Agreed, excellent read.

James, my take was that the author felt the D.VII was Germany's best aircraft of the war, but considered the F.2b better, ONCE they started to fly it to it's fullest capabilities.

Offline James

Winged Sabres
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:59:52 AM »
Agreed, excellent read.

James, my take was that the author felt the D.VII was Germany's best aircraft of the war, but considered the F.2b better, ONCE they started to fly it to it's fullest capabilities.

Jim, you are right. I had forgotten about that, in that once the pilots started to fly the F.2b to its fullest capabilities and that they could throw it around the sky like a fighter, the F.2b may have been the best aircraft of the War according to the author.  To me, what 20 Squadron did with the FE.2b/d and the F.2b were simply amazing.

James