Author Topic: A Short Break from WWI  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

A Short Break from WWI
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
Having finished my Fee I wanted to hit my stash ahead of the next WWI project, which could either be the WNW EII/III (if I get one soon) or the WNW Roland, or my Mirage Halberstadt for the new GB...  I've just about finished a very quick build of the Hasegawa large scale Le Rhone engine (pics to follow) as my experiment using different metal paints.

My next model is the Trumpeter English Electric Lightning in 1:72.  I've cut out a few of the parts for test fitting and so far am very impressed.  One of the reasons I shy away from later aircraft is the fit issue - leading to filling, sanding etc that is often required pre-painting  and which can make the build less effective.  This kit, however, looks like there should be no filler required, or the minimal amount.  The detailing is sharp and the plastic surface is uniform and smooth and should take metal paint well.  Some reviewers have criticised the kit for inaccuracies from the original however I'm not that fussed, will just do the best I can OOB.

I'll put occasional pics here, as it is off topic.  Given the cutting out I have managed tonight, it shouldn't take too long.

WarrenD

Re: A Short Break from WWI
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
Looking forward to it Ian.

Warren

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Always liked that particular aircraft, so I'll also be looking forward to it ;)

Andrew

p.s. looking forward to seeing the results with the Le Rhone.
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:15:25 AM »
EE Lightning is a big machine even in 1/72. Sounds like fun. When people get really micrometre happy I remind them that the model is a lot smaller than the real thing too.....

Steve

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
Simple pit, painted grey and black with the instruments dry brushed.  There was a control panel decal but it looked like a cartoon quite frankly, and at this scale in a closed 'pit the dry brushing is good enough for me.

Nose cone done too, but I forgot to take pics :(

Edit:  'pit sat on nose cone assembly:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:52:46 AM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »
Looks like fun Ian and I can't think of a better way to recharge your WWI battery than by building a model from a different era just for the fun of it.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
Fuselage halves joined up around cockpit and inlet/nose cone assembly.  Inlet ring is only resting in place for the photo.  There are not many parts to this kit, but the decals will take much longer than the build I guess!

With a first coat of Mr Metal...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:04:30 AM by Ian from Doncaster »

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 08:48:07 AM »
Inlet ring repainted in a more contrasting metal shade, and attached.  Spine and anti-glare paint done, but a few minor touch ups needed, although difficult to see here.  Tail decals applied - some paint will need to be added along the leading and trailing edges, and the red squares do not match exactly the spine paint colour.  Tail resting on the model just for the pic.  Wings and elevators next, then undercarriage, weapons and canopy etc and done - apart from a myriad of stencil decals :(

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:50:24 AM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
That is a sharp looking machine. RAF  a/c in the 60's were just as flashy as any USN,USAF types!!!

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 12:48:42 AM »
What did you use for the natural metal Ian?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »
Hi Chris, the NMF is Mr Metal chrome silver, handbrushed on.  It would look better airbrushed but I am reasonably happy with the finish.  The inlet ring is humbrol metalcote gunmetal.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
The fuselage is complete bar the air brakes and the canopy.  Paint done and decals on, perhaps will need to touch up some paint.  Fin is resting just for the pic, I will need to put a sliver of plasticard under the fin to fill the gap.

The kit moldings are good, fit quite well with excellent detail, but the decals are disappointing.  They are thin and delicate, and I have had to miss a few this time, although not enough to spoil the model.  There's a few additions to make, pitot tube, undercarriage, engine jet pipes etc, but the myriad of stencil decals was a chore I was glad to finish.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »
Very flashy!!! She will really stand out in a crowd!!

Steve

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »
The top half is now done, well I could tidy up some paint work and occasional glue spots but I'm more likely to damage it by trying too hard.  I may just leave it as is, to show a bit of wear.

I made a sliver to fill the gap under the fin, and extended the fin colours onto the filler.  Canopy was masked with tape and cut to the frames before painting.  When dry fitting the canopy I found it would not fit over the seat - I am sure the seat is fitted properly but this forced my hand to leave the canopy open.

I also added the tail pipes having painted the exhausts in metalcote gunmetal.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
She's a smart looking bird Ian and a type I'd really like to catch in real life. I know they aren't active anymore but are there any still flying?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice