Author Topic: 1/48 Fokker E.IV Conversion  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
1/48 Fokker E.IV Conversion
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
Hi all - here's another one I decided to start for the group build (not sure if i'll get it finished in time, but we'll see!).

I've wanted to build a 1/48 Fokker E.IV for quite a while, but there are no viable kits out there of this model. So I have decided to convert the Eduard Fokker E.III kit to an E.IV, which is a relatively straight forward conversion. The E.IV had essentially the same wings, tailplane, rudder and other major bits and pieces to the E.III, but with a different fuselage. The fuselage on the E.IV was longer, and obviously the cowling was longer to house the twin-row rotary engine. The E.IV also had the obvious fairing around the cockpit. Thus the fuselage effectively needs to be scratch built.

I have made a start on the extended length fuselage (based off the drawings in Josef Scott's Fokker Eindecker Compendium Vol 2) - so far I have scratch-built the flat sides and tops, and the cockpit fairing. I vacuformed the fairing using a small vacuform machine I recently picked up, over a balsa wood master. This was my first attempt at vacuforming; I think it worked out ok, and the holes still need to be cut, but I have the niggling feeling I might need to re-do it.... I've also made a start at modifying the Eduard cowl to extend it for the longer engine. Here are some pics of it so far:

It's very very early days on this one, and so far it kinda looks like an E.IV... but you have to start somewhere...!

All feedback welcomed.

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/48 Fokker E.IV Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:50:20 PM »
Terrific start Brad. Looks like another of your Masterpieces in the works!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 05:51:46 AM »
Very interesting conversion, looking forward to your build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »
Very interesting conversion, looking forward to your build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Second this  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .